GI Upset

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:07 pm

Yes, that's very true. I may have to write your advice on my hand. I'm so frazzled. Maybe then the pharmacist will notice it and tell me. Yes, that's a good idea, it's on my hand now. I don't know how you guys deal with this all the time.

So, can someone tell me a good story where a pig had a stone, had surgery to remove it, and continued to do well after? The piggie I'm fixated on is poor, sweet Navin, who recurred right after surgery.

Halva
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:15 pm

Really sorry you're going through this Rshevin. I don't have much in the way of helpful advice. Well done though for pushing for the Bactrim.

I don't know what it is with the number of stones on the board right now. Amber is going in tomorrow for X rays with suspected stones. I'm pretty terrified.

Will be thinking of you.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:39 pm

I'll be thinking of Amber too. I hope she just has an infection that clears up without issue.

NiniAriane

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Thinking good thoughts for you and your piggie, Rshevin.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:46 pm

"So, can someone tell me a good story where a pig had a stone, had surgery to remove it, and continued to do well after?"

There are several here ... of course, I can't recall who posted any of them, but in general (not absolute, of course, but in general) I think the older the pig is when he or she gets the first stone, the better the prognosis is for 1) recovery and 2) not making more.

Navin R. was very young when he developed his first.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:12 pm

Thank you Talishan, that's encouraging and biologically, it makes sense. It's likely Piggy has had 1 large, slowly growing stone for a very long time now. Maybe due to previous bad diet. Maybe even due to too many Ca rich veggies with me (stopped long ago but dandelion was a serious favorite). I thought I had picked all the best veggies, all very high in vitamin C, dandelion, kale, collards, mustard greens, parsley, spinach. I didn't realize they were so super high in calcium as well. That was stopped a long time ago at least.

I am now in possession of both Baytril and Bactrim. The surgeon is insistent on the Baytril as well. I don't know what to do. I didn't know about probiotics the last time Piggy took Baytril but he's already been given a dose yesterday. I wanted to give his little gut a good head start. I have plenty more where that came from. Dairy free too. I have simethicone and cisapride on hand now, and know how and when to dose them. ::sigh:: I hate that it's all in my hands. I wish I were one of those people that just trusted what the doctor said but ya'll have taught me otherwise.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:38 pm

Well, I may regret this, but I gave Piggy the Baytril. His blood is getting worse. He's such a doofus he chewed the pill up right behind a piece of lettuce. I just kind of put it in his mouth and it's gone down the hatch.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:03 pm

I've gotten to where I trust GL and me more than the doctors. With human medicine I trust me more than the docs.

Now that's not saying much. But when you completely lose faith in the "professionals", then you gotta have faith in you. You're the only one left.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:07 pm

But the thing is when you HAVE to have the doctors to get the medicine you need. How do I explain to this doctor how I suddenly had bactrim? I kinda got yelled at by one doctor today for trying to stand up for my baby. I never know what to do or how to stand up for myself. So many years of society telling you to be a people pleaser. ::sigh:: I may set up my petstore cage so Piggy can follow me around the house and maybe sleep in my bedroom. He has a water bottle (an extra) with unsweetened cranberry juice diluted in water. He wouldn't take it orally last night.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:33 pm

Piggy is in a pet store cage, on white fleece, beside me and will remain beside me throughout the night. He's still eating and drinking and active but the bloody urine is worse every time I check.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:18 pm

I hate to keep replying to myself, but if you know me in person, I talk a lot when I'm nervous (I talk a lot period, nervous is worse). Piggy took down a leaf of lettuce with vigor and is now in his hay bin munching. The blood in the urine is worse, but he seems to be feeling ok. It's actually time for some more probiotic now. Maybe I can get some cranberry in him.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:38 pm

If the pig didn't tolerate baytril before I really wouldn't give it to him again without very good reason (as in a C&S that shows only baytril will work).

If he has a stone, the a/b may not help much. Bactrim usually works against infection, as you know, but the stone itself may be causing more of the problem - or not.

Did the vet say the stone was small enough that it could possibly be passed?