Petsmart supplier under investigation

Topaz

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Ugh, that first video is one of the worst things I've ever seen. Those poor poor animals. I hope anyone involved in that whole thing gets a little taste of some suffering of their own. It sounds terrible, but I really do.

I'm hoping I don't have nightmares now. I should know better than to watch things like that.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Vanilla, animal jungle is awful. That's the place with all the birds right? Have you ever looked at the animals they have there? FILTHY! Please don't shop there. They're usually sick too. It's a bit of a longer drive, but Care-a-lot on Diamond Springs road has aspen (CHEAP!), carefresh (CHEAP!), and emergency timothy hay. They also have the best selection of cat food in Tidewater and the 2nd best selection of dog food (second to Dog Stuff). They don't sell any animals other than fish, which are spotless. I had to order my oxbow online when I lived in Norfolk. Pet Care Veterinary Hospital sells them for an emergency, but they are quite expensive.

Edit: Ok I found the address, Holland Road IS the place I was talking about. I didn't realize they even sold Oxbow? Anyway, I hate that place.

Bat

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:07 pm

I could not even watch the whole thing. I just began sobbing. I feel so bad for those poor helpless animals. Never again will I shop there or other places that support this.

It is so upsetting.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Rshevin ,

I have looked and didn't see any animals seeming to be filthy . I don't plan on ever buying another animal from a pet-shop now that I know there are rescues for more than cats and dogs.

However I didn't know that Care a lot sold the bedding I thought that it was a Vet office. It is actually closer to me that Animal Jungle . Thanks for the info .

I cant afford the price of Oxbow at Pet Care . So I have been buying it at Animal Jungle . I wonder if I can order it cheaper online ? I buy my hay from a farmer in Suffolk .

My dog is on a fresh foods diet due to gastric problems so I make all her food .

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:00 pm

You have to be joking right? The last time I was in there, the bird rooms were covered in feces and a tiny little bird was sick and walking around on the floor. The small mammals smelled so disgusting I had to walk away. They keep their pregnant and breeding moms on site, out on the main retail floor. I didn't realize they even sold Oxbow.

Care-a-lot has a weekend low cost dog and cat clinic, but that's it. You'll have to look for the aspen, but you'll like it. HUGE bag for $10. I shopped there regularly for nearly 3 years and it was never in the same place twice! If you only see pine and cedar, ask the staff. They have it in the back. Remind them it's in a blue bag. They're just a little slow on stocking now that they moved to this retail store. The staff is somewhat lacking I feel, but it's the only pet supply store that carries things for exotics. They have dog and cat toys, beds, that kind of thing too. Oh, and the biggest selection of "fish" antibiotics you've ever seen. For your "fish" of course ::cough cough::

I understand the prices at Pet Care (hence calling them emergency food). I ended up ordering from Pet Food Direct. It wasn't unreasonable, especially if you're able to save on hay. LandosMama and I tried hard to find a brick and mortar store for Oxbow, but couldn't.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:20 pm

No seriously it did not seem dirty and I do pay attention to that . The animals have always had fresh food water and hay when I have gone .The ferrets stink like ferrets and the birds are loud. I actually don't go in the bird room because I get so sick from them .

I did see that they keep breeding animals out . I thought that was better since you can see them and you know they aren't in a pet mill ? I am really dumb about this stuff I guess .

However I will get my bedding at Care A Lot now . If I can find cheaper Oxbow elsewhere I will. Thanks for the information ! :)

lisam

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:24 pm

VP, what do you use for bedding? Most feed/farm stores carry shavings--are there any close to you?

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:29 pm

I use kilned pine aspen and carefresh mixed . The nearest feed store is 40 miles from me as far as I know and they don't carry anything but pine and woody pet .

papiggieluverz

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:42 pm

"papiggieluverz... just out of curiosity, what are your other reasons besides animal cruelty?"

Animal Cruelty is the top reason. But there are many other places to buy your pet food, bedding, etc. at other places that DON'T sell animals. I forget the last time I was actually in a pet store that sold animals. I went there to return pellets with junk in them and weird bedding that came in with surrenders, and I had the receipt.

We have a pet warehouse in our area, that doesn't sell animals, only supplies. I don't want any part of pet stores or to support them in anyway.

Piggiecavyguinea

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Same with me. Pet Food Express sells no animals, so I go there

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:34 pm

I go to big surface stores instead and order online for things I can't find here, unless shipping is outrageous.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:09 am

Anyone else get a letter back ?

Dear Naomi,

Thank you for taking the time to contact PetSmart. We're very concerned
about some of the images in the PETA video and are looking into the
allegations that have been raised. For all the details on the Rainbow
investigation and PETA's other campaigns, please visit
www.petsmartfacts.com. We will be updating this site as more
information becomes available.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Manager