Bedding experiment

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:12 am

Does this crib pad contain the odour though? I mean if for example, I don't change it for a couple of days.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:53 am

The crib pads I have aren't the thick, double-sided ones with plastic center. They are a very thick (maybe 2-ply?) cotton flannel cloth that actually does absorb wetness pretty well (better than the stuff with the plastic in it). I use(d) it under the towels as my bottom layer.

They are harder to find. Most of mine came from Wal-Mart back when I still shopped there. They came in a package of 3 sizes -- the large size (which covers about half a 2 x 3 cage), a medium size (good for under the water bottles), and a small size that can be used as a lap pad.

Bottom line, I'm just sick of all the laundry.

It's Day 3 on the cardboard experiment. It's holding up well (so far), and there is no odor and the fleece is still dry. Question will be how many days does it take for it to get soggy and how big a pain will it be to dispose of.

Princess Aurora

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:07 am

I've switched to fleece aswell, since some weeks ago, and I put a layer of newpapers and a layer of shelvings under it.

It seems to work pretty well, I oftenly touch the bottom of the cage with my hand to feel if there is any wet spot, and there isn't. :-D

The problem comes when I actually got to clean the entire cage and shake the fleece, it's a mess! lol. As we live in a flat, it's imposible for me to go outside to shake the fleece from the balcony, my neighbours would kill me! lol.

Also, the amount of shelvings used per week produces such lot of garbage in the end. And Germany is the most complicated country regarding garbage. If there is something in a bag that shouldn't be in THAT bag, they just won't take the damn bag. We got like 5 differents garbage bins in the flat to select garbage, it's so neurotic! Lol.

So I would also like to know a method that, keep my piggies warm and dry, but that doesn't produce such loads of crap!.

Maria1986

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:11 am

For everyone that uses fleece, do you just use a single layer of fleece on top of what ever you have decided to put underneath? also do you hem it, or does it tend not to fray? (I've never worked with fleece before)

Off to the haberdashery to get some in a couple of hours and need to know how much to buy!

Princess Aurora

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:23 am

I use only one layer of fleece.

As I put a couple of layers of newspaper and on it some shelvings, when I put the fleece on top of that, I hem the extremes under the newspaper layer, so I can cover all the stuff pretty well.

I adjust it well here and there and that's it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:05 am

You really only need one layer of fleece. You can use multiple layers of whatever you use underneath, though. I was using two layers of towels and then a crib liner on the bottom.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:13 am

Fleece doesn't fray. You can cut it without hemming, although the edges will curl in so be sure to count that in like you would a seem allowance.

Maria1986

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks everyone, Fingers crossed me and the piggies will love the fleece and I can stop buying huge bags of aspen (although still have 2 bags, so I think I may use a combination untill we all get used to it.

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:42 pm

Sef, how big is your cage?

Have you ever tried puppy pads?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:11 pm

Well, I would worry that they would chew the puppy pads. Although...I did notice a new product on the market that is a paper-based puppy pad that is biodegradeable and safe if ingested. Not sure how absorbent it is. Has anyone here seen it?

Bassy and Oliver are in a 2 x 5; Toby and Otis are in a 3 x 3; Henry is in a 4 x 1 3/4 with a "den" on the side of it, and Zachary is in a 3 3/4 x 1 3/4 with a loft.

ETA: Uh-oh. Seems that Otis has just discovered that there is cardboard under the fleece.

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:16 pm

Wow! You got big cages. I can imagine how much washing you do now.

My boys are chewer but they never chew the side of the puppy pads.

Interesting about the paper based puppy pads. I'll look it up.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:17 pm

I'll Google and see if I can find the brand...