Blackberry and raspberry leaves

dribble

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:56 am

My vet has suggested giving blackberry or raspberry leaves to Willow, who has not recovered from a gut upset. Her cecum isn't working properly and her poops are small and not properly formed. Stones have been ruled out.

Thankfully she still eats normally. I've started giving her poop soup and she's on the austerity program (no veggies), which is definitely not making her happy.

Blackberry leaves are, sadly, everywhere around here so I can easily find some without pesticides or road grime.

Has anyone tried this? Was it helpful?

Ledasmom

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:48 pm

I have not tried the leaves for a digestive problem, but my piggies do like them. We have an out-of-control thornless blackberry vine and also a lot of thorny raspberries; they don't seem to mind the small thorns on the leaves from the tips fo the vines.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:07 pm

I would be curious to hear what kind of results you get. Best of luck.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:00 pm

I have dried some blackberry and raspberry leaves, and also blackcurrant leaves for my girls, and they are crazy about them. I don't know if they have any healing properties, though, but I am sure it won't hurt to try for your pig. I would also like to hear if it makes a difference for your Willow.

lisam

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Isn't one of them used for producing uterine contractions? Oh wait, here's some info on raspberry leaves--
http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/RaspberryLeaf.html

and here's a page on blackberry leaves--
http://www.phytochemicals.info/plants/blackberry.php

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:48 pm

Raspberry tea is great for lunar cramps. No idea of any other uses.

dribble

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Willow's poops are back to normal (although I think a little smaller than before all this started). But now she has blood in her urine. At first she squeeked when peeing, but not any longer. She hasn't lost weight and is eating normally.

We decided not to t treat for a URI because we were trying to get her cecum to start working properly. Now that it's better, we need to deal with the blood.

We cannot give her baytril again after the last bad experience that caused her gut upset, so they want me to use injectible chloramphenicol. For some reason they refuse to prescribe baytril!

I don't want to put her on a drug that has a history of putting pigs off their food and I dread using injectible antibiotics.

Advice please?

dribble

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:14 pm

I took another shot at getting them to prescribe SMZ-TMP, and one of the other vets agrees that it's a better choice and will give me some. Yay!

I'm going to give Willow subcues daily and acidophilus, poop soup, reglan and continue to use the propulsid that has helped with the cecum problem.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:28 pm

I'm glad you can get some bactrim. I think it's a good choice too.