putting adults together - advise needed on behavior

rubes

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:59 am

Hi All, You were so helpful to me approx 2 years ago + hoping you can help again...please!
I had 4 boars - living in pairs (2 hutches). recently my old boar Bolly passedaway after long heart troubles. He was 5 yrs.

Leaving behind his young male Fuzzy - only a year and he laid back in temperament. The other 2 boars we have being 2 years old. I want them all to live together and started trying the 3 of them in run yesterday. This is where I am asking for help........(and Ive been reading other posts too) I not sure of the behavior and from what they were doing not sure if this is a good idea ...though I hope they could live together -
One of the boars Charly is very bossy and clearly always been the agreesive leader - he started mounting fuzzy (fuzzy on his hisown) then they were both going round in circles both trying to mount each other. Which they did and I could smell the scent. This goes on for few minutes sometimes they both rear the faces to each other - not had a fiht yet but I am so anxious. Then the 2 of them calm down and ate grass - only then minute later charly at fuzzy again trying to mount and making the brooping noises. Then we had teeth chattering - What does that mean???

Meanwhile the 3rd pig who lives with charly just ignores them - so he isnt the prblem.
My questions please to you folks is =Is this normal and does it sound like they may settle and get on? Ive read on other posts its the pecking order and maybe they will sort it out. Do I leave them on their own and sort it out? Is the teeth chattering a sign they in fear of eagh other?
I am so trying to avoid having to get another baby pig for fuzzy - who I know cant live on his own - not being fair. But I work ful time - So worried if I put them all together they might fight.

Is mounting normal (and the wiggling of bum and brooping) in trying to get on...? Any advise I would be so grateful (upsetting enough loosing my pig this week and now I worrying.
Thanks

Maria1986

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:49 am

The mounting and rumblestrutting (wiggling the bum and the burring noise) is normal behaviour, they are trying to establish dominance.

This page has lots of very useful information on what is and isnt normal behaviour when introducing new pigs to your herd, if you scroll about halfway down you should find a list of signs that tell you when you should be concerned.

rubes

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:02 am

Thanks for that - I will try look at that page. Actually I put them all together again for while - There was a lot of teeth chattering and rounding up- We had lots of teeth yawning to each other and sizing up - So I am thinking maybe they wont get along. I left them for 15 mins and then took Fuzzy out in case of a fight........Am I giving up too early?

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:08 am

Make a big effort to read that linked page. It's 110% worth it. Seriously the best advice on the net is there so it's not worth out retyping ya know. If you have some questions after reading, please, feel free to keep asking. They really do best with a buddy.

lisam

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:50 am

First thing, all three won't be able to live together unless you have a cage large enough. Check out the cage size standards at www.gineapigcages.com .

rubes

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:56 am

Thanks - I keep trying to view Cavyspirit - but page not opening so will try later before I askany other questions. Thanks for the link.
We have a huge cavy hutch with 2 bedrooms and large run area -so caging is not the problem.
As I have been watching them today - I do not think that 2 of the piggies like each other and just not sure how long you should leave them together as it must stress them out. Thanks for advise - will keep trying the site you recommend - amybe everyone is looking at it!

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:28 pm

This all sounds very appropriate. I have 2 boars who have lived together for 2 years and they still do the teeth chattering thing at each other all the time. In fact, if one is in a feisty mood, he'll try to mount the other. It just never stops. But the majority of the time, they coexist and don't hassle each other. I've found that the trick is to have enough hiding places so everybody has a safe place to retreat to. We've just added a baby male to the mix. Poor guy went through a couple of days of teeth chattering and humping, but it never got viscious. He quickly realized his place in the group and all is somewhat peaceful again. I wonder, though, what will happen when he reaches adolescence.

Hang in there, and just wait it out. Everytime you separate them for any time then put them back together, the entire dominance process will start over again.

papiggieluverz

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:46 pm

Best advice is to leave them together even if you hear chattering and see mounting. It's worth the stress of leaving them alone without watching them.

rubes

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi, thanks so much - my only concern with leaving them alone is they have a fight. Today they did try have apop at each other - seems neother of them wanted to back down. Will try again in my lunch hour tommorow.
Thanks Amy0204- maybe thats where i am going wrong as yuo say - I do separate them and put them back in separate hutches. Only problem with working full time I dare not leave them all in together just yet.
Do yours lift their heads up to each other -i keep thinking they might bite each other..? I also noticed Fuzzy yawning showing off the teeth as if to say - look these will bite.....maybe a rescue pig is needed. Just shame because I am trying to down size and was hoping all 3 could live together.
Still cant get on the website recommended (cavyspirit) - anyone else having problems with it?

Also if anyone else has any similar situations re rearing up and chattering- Would love to hear your feedback and whether was a happy ending?

lisam

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:34 pm

They're all normal behaviors. I'd leave them together and check on them often. Only separate if you see blood.

Maria1986

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:35 pm

it is working fine here, maybe its because your one a different browser to me? the link is http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

hope that works this time

rubes

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Hiya all (and thanks Maria1986-kind of you - and yes hooray, it worked). I just been reading the article on introducing piggies.

I can see from the pig dating game - I started wrong by introducing in one of current pigs home.

But can anyone advise - How many times do you try the dating game - And if they bite each other - Is that it- Game over??

How many attempts do you give them? If they draw blood - Do you then decide they wont get on so not put them back together and thats the end of it? Just dont want Fuzzy living on his own for long.

Thanks for great website on piggies- and all your help so far.
Its clear today trial was definatly getting ready for battle. The signs of concern were there- I shouldnt have separated I know now.

If anyone can advise how many times I shoulf try to introduce them - And also how long does it take for them to sort the pecking order out? Should I be putting them together every day for a time? I cant leave them together as said I have to go to work.
Any further replies to help me - sorry to go on-