Having problems intergrating new piggy

Sherry74

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:29 am

Hi there, we've currently got 3 pigs.

Our first pig Kita, we got about a year ago and she's very loving. (I'm not sure of breeds..).

The second piggy we got a few months later, named Minnie, she's rather aggressive, doesn't like to be picked up and let's you know she doesn't want to be touched. Even though Minnie is not a cuddly pig, her and Kita get along just fine.

We just recently got another pig, who we named Autumn. She's very loving like Kita and loves to snuggle.

We kept her quarantined for about 2 weeks before we added her to Kita and Minnie's cage. Every time we put her with them they would get very aggressive. Especially Minnie, Kita on the other hand seems to be a mediator between the two, even standing between Minnie and Autumn and jumping or "buzzing" at Minnie if she tried to come close to Autumn.

One night we decided to leave Autumn in with them for a few hours. What a mistake that was! When we went to check on her we found that the rims of her eyes were slightly slit, almost as if it had been hit with a piggy nail. She also had a slight tear in her ear and underneath it was bleeding, as if one of the pigs had bitten her.

We made Autumn her own cage since then, but I wanted to know why this is happening. Is one piggy breed more aggressive then the other, or are they just like people with different personalities?

I noticed that after Autumn is taken out of Kita and Minnie's cage, they are aggressive towards one another for a while. Almost like Kita is not happy with Minnie and wants her to know it.

Here are pictures of the three pigs:

This is Autumn, our newest pig.

This is Kita (on the left), and Minnie (on the right).

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sherry

Lovemypig

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:48 am

Beautiful pigs you have there!

There is a link here to introducing pigs to each other. It has alot of very useful and practical information. Use the "search" to find it or else another member will (hopefully!) post it for you soon.

There are also various threads dealing with the same subject. Here is a recent one:https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43211

Clicking on that will get you there, but I know I didn't make that look the way it's suppose to. Sorry, other members!

Sherry74

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:53 am

Thanks for the help "Lovemypig"! I will look those over. :D

lisam

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:09 am

It's not a good idea to add a new pig to an already established cage. The pigs in residence feel they have to defend their place against newcomers.

It's best to introduce everyone on neutral territory. While they are getting to know each other completely change the cage you intend them to all live in. Clean it out with a vinegar and water mix, add new bedding, re-arrange the houses.

Make sure you have at least three water bottles, food dishes, hiding houses.

If they are getting along fine in the neutral spot with no bloodshed then put them all together in their new cage.

Oh, and you need to make sure the cage is large enough for three. Check the size standards at www.guineapigcages.com .

lisam

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:10 am

Here's some additional information--

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

rubes

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi I can relate- having same sort probs with introducing anotheryoung boar to my 2 boars - The website Cavy Spirit is definately the place to read for advise.

Bat

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:03 pm

Good luck with your pigs. I have 3 pigs as well, and have had no luck with having them live together! I'd just say read the information that other people provided and good luck :)

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:22 pm

Ditto lisam. You need to introduce them on neutral territory and clean out the cage before putting them in.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Double ditto w/ what lisa said too. I've been very fortunate that eveyone I've introduced to my herd has gotten along well enough.

I started w/ three sows added two more (total of 5) added three more (for total of 8) than we lost three over the course of 4months. We had five for almost a year. We then added two more (for a total 0f 7-one is a neutered boar) added one more (total of 8) and just added two more (total of 10). I've noticed that if you add two that are already used to each other it seems to help. When I added my one sow (Puddin), she seems to still get picked on by the others. There's no blood shed just a reminder to her that she's at the bottom of the herd.

We always do an intro on neutral territory w/ the plastic dustpan (I use it to stop any major quarreling). We do have fur pulling and nipping and rumble strutting and teeth chattering never any blood shed. Thank goodness. But it is very important to clean EVERYTHING in the cage-food dishes, waterbottles, hidey houses, hayracks, anything that the other piggies have "touched" and have their scent on. And if worse comes to shove, there's always the bathing together that may help.

My main recommendation is to give it a good week to let them work their differences out (as long as there is no blood shed). There will be lots of wheeking and other things going on. Putting them together and taking them out is probably the worse thing to do. It stresses them out. Good luck!!

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:04 pm

The other thing is that they need a cage that's big enough for 3 for it to work. How big is your cage? If it is a C&C it should be at least 2 grid by 5 grid. Even bigger than that would be better. If it's not a C&C cage, it is probably too small for even the two pigs.

Trick

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:08 pm

The cavyspirit link lisam posted is the bible for guinea pig introductions! Follow those steps, clean everything as said, and have a buddy bath as your backup option.

The most important thing is not to separate them unless there is actual bloodshed. Intros can be hard to watch, especially if a pig is being chased all over the place and having tufts of fur pulled out - but it is hard on us, NOT on them. They can interpret their body language much better than we can! :)

I have to be the tough love woman at intro time in our house as my boyfriend is always whimpering at how mean piggies can be! It's worth it when they are eating hay side by side within a couple of weeks though. Best of luck!

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:15 pm

It is very hard to watch as they get to know each other and figure out who's the head honcho! I HATE doing intros but it always works out in the end.