Coco's tooth

Marjorie_61

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:02 am

Can somebody explain to me how to put pictures up? I have some new pics of Coco's tooth the big hole in his tooth has now irrupted past the gumline and its pretty interesting. Not sure if the tooth is actually going to break off or if its just going to keep growing till he wears it down to the hole. I never realized how fast guinea pigs teeth grow, but this hole only took a couple days to come out. I now have to cut up his veggies really small because he puts the whole thing in his mouth instead of using his incisors, it must be pretty sore. However he is eating the same amount of food and still popcorning around the cage.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Your picture sounds very interesting! It is good that Coco is feeling well enough to popcorn. :)

Do you have an online photo hosting account, such as Photobucket? If not, you will need to create one. I use www.Photobucket.com (it's free).

After you have uploaded your pictures, you will create a link to your Guinea Lynx message thread:

From your Photobucket account, locate your picture.

There is a set of "tags" usually underneath, or to the side of it.

Copy the one that says "IMG Code".

In your Guinea Lynx thread, click on the "To Reply Page" button (bottom right hand of the screen).

In the Post a Reply box, paste the IMG Code.

You can use the Preview button to see it before you choose Submit.

Hope this helps!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Or you can send them to me with a link to this thread. If they are good clear medical pics, I am happy to add them.

Marjorie_61

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Okay I sent Lynx the picture so hopefully it is okay and you guys can get to see it because it is very interesting looking. Also I went to another vet, and he said Coco really should be on antibiotics, so he gave me some Chloramphenicol Palmitate oral suspension. I am supposed to give 1/2 ml every 12 hours (Coco weighs 3 lbs, or 1.4kg). I read on the safe antibiotics list that this one is good. Just wondering if anybody has had any issues with it? Just because Coco did have adverse reactions to Baytril before. Thanks for all your help....I'll have to do that photobucket thing when I have more time, two big tests tomorrow, somewhat sick piggy, a dog I need to pay attention to, it all just adds up. Oh almost forgot I have some super strength probiotic that I was using for myself, should I give this to Coco while I am medicating him, they are Acidophilus super strain Jameison Probiotic Complex (with FOS Fructo-oligo-saccharides). The back of the bottle says Lactobacillus acidophilus 10%, L. rhamnosus 50%, Streptococcus thermophilus 20%, Bifidobacterium longum 10%, and B. bifidum 10%, and that FOS stuff at 60 mg....also contains Maltodextrin, gelatin, vegetable magnesium stearate, and ascorbic acid. Ok I am done! Thanks again

Marjorie_61

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:49 pm

Sorry one more thing. How much probiotic should I give and how often? Should I wait a certain amount of time after giving the antibiotic? Thanks

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Here you go. When I used to give acidophilous, I just sprinkled some on. I don't think it is precise. If you get a veterinary product, there may be guidelines listed on the packaging.

Marjorie_61

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks for the pic Lynx. I was just reading up on the probiotics part of the the web page where it says to feed a peice of feces from a healthy pig. I think I will try that first, seeing as I did that last time he had reactions to the antibiotic and it made him better. I had completely forgot about it. Or maybe I'll try both, I'll see how he reacts. His tooth already looks completely different from that picture, it had grown out more and turned black inside. Its changing so fast. I'll keep you all posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:28 pm

Yes, teeth grow quickly. If you have a more uptodate pic, I'll be happy to add that too.

Marjorie_61

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:17 pm

ok not sure what I am doing, but[/img]

Marjorie_61

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:21 pm

Ok so that is the updated picture of how Coco's tooth is doing, It looks like its just going to grow out, so hopefully it wont be too bad.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:22 pm

It looks better! Did the infection cause that hole?

Marjorie_61

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:27 pm

Yeah basically, he had the whole before it grew out, its just slowly moving up. Not sure how he got the abcess underneath, must be from some sort of trauma, or possibly a peice of hay getting trapped under the gums. Still need to bring him to a vet that has a buccal pad seperator so I can see his molars and make sure they are alright and not causing the complication with his incisor, but I dont think they are since it is an abcess not a malocclusion.