Rosie is Limping

Trick

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:09 pm

Following on from above, Rosie improved dramatically with her two injections and was able to rejoin the herd and be as happy as ever.

The last couple of weeks Rosie started rumbling again and immediately we made an appointment to see the same vet that Thistle Cavies use again. In the meantime Rosie had a bath that stopped her rumbling but we still knew we had to check her out.

The vet could hardly feel her right ovary but her left ovary is again enlarged - I think the vet said there was a pea to bean sized bump on her ovary though my boyfriend is sure he said the ovary felt pea to bean sized... either way the plan of action is the same and we decided not to put her through the stress of coming back for an ultrasound as the vet was so thorough with the physical examination (the ultrasound machine was at another practise at the time).

Tomorrow the bloke will phone our local vets and schedule another two hormone injections. Does anyone think it would be wise to get three done this time? I'd appreciate any insight on that.

We plan to stick with hormones anyway if this problem does reoccur - for those who treat their pigs with hormones, how often do you find you have to do so? I'm perfectly happy to do it as often as needed as long as Rosie is a happy piggie.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:45 pm

No advice on using this drug, just hoping that it works for her.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:47 pm

" ... how often do you find you have to do so?"

I think it varies greatly, by pig. But I have no direct experience, so hopefully those that do will confirm or deny.

Trick

Post   » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:40 am

Thank you, it would certainly be good to know.

I forgot to mention as well that on top of everything else Rosie has decided to model a greasy butt this season - argh! Well I was planning on buying some coconut oil anyway for myself and in the meantime I have some vitamin E oil. Fantastic to have it on my pig with everything else wrong and the one who screams in the bath, sigh.

Trick

Post   » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:54 am

Rosie's gummy butt was a lot worse than I anticipated but the vitamin E oil got it all out. I feel bad I didn't notice how much there was before, it looked like only a small amount on her coat but when I got in there it just went deeper and deeper and bigger and bigger :/

She had her first hormone injection yesterday. She bent the first needle - must be a super pig :)

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:46 am

Poor Rosie, she must be in pain if they bent the needle in her. Ahhhhh We need a picture of your little doll. I just want to make sure she is doing ok. hee hee. I love Rosie too.

NiniAriane

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:53 am

Hang in there, Trick. Sending good thoughts to Rosie.

Trick

Post   » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:39 am

Thanks guys, I'll get the latest pics of the camera for you this evening dgarriques :)

The vet visit really tired her out but she seems fine again now, still demanding her pettings if you so much as look in the piggie room.

Trick

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Rosie had her second round of injections back in February but when she went into her next heat it just didn't stop and she is rumbling about again. I'm going to bathe her today and see if that helps (and clean her gummy butt again) but otherwise I'm guessing more injections? I wonder if doing three injections in a course instead of two would be beneficial?

On top of all that Rosie also now has a lump on her bum. It's between her bits and her grease gland but over to the left side if you are facing her rear end. It's about the size of, I think a large pea. It's quite spherical and hard, just under the skin, nothing on the skin is out of the ordinary, no sores or hair out of place, and when I fiddle with it she's not concerned at all.

Brie is back on Monday for her second hormone injection so I'll take Rosie along for an exam and a biopsy. I trust the local vets to do that at least as it isn't such a species specific problem.

Any ideas on what it is most likely to be?

I just can't catch a break right now with my girls :/

Edit: also does anyone know of any GL users that have experience with hormone injections? I'd like to drop them a line and see if they have any pigs that get injections regularly.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:20 pm

I think a large pea. It's quite spherical and hard, just under the skin, nothing on the skin is out of the ordinary, no sores or hair out of place, and when I fiddle with it she's not concerned at all.
Given the location it's likely to be a cyst. If so, you should have your vet lance and squeeze it. Generally they just go away with that treatment, but they can return.

Keep on with the ivermectin treatments.

Trick

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:14 pm

Sorry, it's hCG injections. Okay, I'll say to the vet we think it's a cyst - I'll ask for the vet that was so good with Gracie's eye I think.

Thanks Mum!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:03 am

Trick, a heads-up from Wendi on the third HCG injection. This should be given 21 days after the second one, not 40 days.