Chirping Sound Clip

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Wed May 08, 2002 8:55 pm

Nurgle LOL! As I told my husband last night, "Many have heard OF it. Most have not heard it. And... I have heard enough!" I was SO SO loud and sounded so much like a bird. If you hear it you will know. It is amazing!

stickyfroggi

Post   » Sun May 19, 2002 8:45 pm

when i went to adopt my piggies from the rescue, sharon, the rescuer informed me that mocha had chirped a few days before. i have never heard either of the pigs i adopted do such a thing. when i was listening to the sound clip a few seconds ago though both of my girls perked up, and looked around. as the sound clip continued they grew more and more confused and then both made mad-dashes for their igloos.... quite funny.

thanks for the clip! sounds like a lil chickadee.

erin

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Mon May 20, 2002 12:56 pm

Hmmm... on an interesting note. I just relistened to the clip, and realized that Stanley´s chirping, while the same sound, is slower.

Nina´s clip goes chirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirp..chirp..chiripchirpchirpchirp...chirpchirpchirpchirp and so on.

Stanley goes chirp..chirp..chirp..chirp..chirp..chirp..chirp..chirp..chirp..chirp and so on.

Actually, very nearly the same rate of speed the heater blower chirped when it was going bad. Wonder if that is where he picked it up all of a sudden?

Or do different piggies chirp at different speeds?

bats

Post   » Mon May 20, 2002 1:01 pm

Ginger cheeped at a rate of one per second, maybe slightly faster.
None of my other pigs ever did it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 20, 2002 1:09 pm

Ever hear mysterious unidentified chirps? Pre-guinea pig chirps that drove me crazy were the warning sound emitted from the battery operated smoke alarm as the batteries were close to discharged.

pigpal

Post   » Mon May 20, 2002 5:04 pm

Yes! My daughter has a mini Palm Pilot device that chirps mysteriously from the nether regions of her backpack and sends me scurrying to locate the source, just in case it was a pig. Alas, we have been chirpless in the pig department for quite a few months.

petlover

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:29 pm

When I first heard that chirping sound it was in the days before I had a computer and my pigs were having floor time in the family room and I heard that chirping from behind/under a book case and feared we had an injured bird in the house! I thought a cat brought in a bird and it escaped but since then I have read about this sound and just caught my Porky doing it. It is scarey at first because it is so strange/different than the usual pig sounds. I have to agree though, it sounds precisely like a bird chirping.

bats

Post   » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:34 pm

Wow, this is an old thread.

Well since I last posted here, one of my pigs has started to chirp. Munchkin does 3 or 4 chirps / second for a minute or two if something startles her late at night. It causes the other pigs to freeze.

Sunshine

Post   » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:21 am

I was hoping to hear it..lol..the link is dead now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:03 pm

No, the link is not dead. Perhaps you do not have the software to play an mp3 (that's the format it is saved in).

This same link is also located on the GL reference. Check index for "chirping".

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:32 pm

bump

ChrisWaz

Post   » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:01 pm

Just looked up chirping myself and found this for the first time, as my Munchie started chirping about a week ago. Thing was, she hasn't done it for 2-3 years, and she's been sick with a urinary tract infection. She happened to do it for the first time a week ago today, the morning we were taking her to the vet. When we saw her doing it, we assumed she was in pain and having trouble peeing.

Then, she did it again a few days ago, and again last night. These last two times were quieter and shorter than the others, and she stopped and acted completely normal once we flipped on a light and pet her for a little bit. So we were concerned that these were pain chirps associated with the UTI (as we had never, ever heard her do that before), but we couldn't understand why she would then start acting completely fine a minute later.

Having listened to the MP3s, this chirping is EXACTLY what she was doing. I assume this is good news, and she was maybe just startled? A coincidence that it happened to occur while she was sick?

Or is it possible it could be a pain chirp? She's otherwise acting 100% normal (but is, of course, still on an antibiotic for the UTI).

This is encouraging, and it sounds like she's okay afterall and just acting weird with this chirping... but I also don't want to dismiss it in case it's a sign of pain.

Thanks!