Baby Pig grows catatonic

101keller

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:59 pm

We're new to all of this, but we're trying. Little did I know that an old fart like myself would develop such a soft spot for these critters.
We had no idea that one of the young pigs (approx. 8 wks) we brought home was pregnant until she gave birth to 2 pups. The mom prolapsed and died the next day. The healthier and better-eating of the 2 babies did great for 2 days and then stopped eating and died suddenly. They had both nursed.
The runt, "Pedro" has grown like crazy, and he does well except for once a day his hindend "freezes," he can't use his rear legs, and he won't eat. We had thought that it might be impaction, but I've stuffed warm water-soaked and mineral-soaked Q-tips up his little patoot without much action. It seems as if he comes around without necessarily pooping, so I'm puzzled.
Diet has been whole cow's milk (started on the advice of a local vet before we found this website) augmented with pellets, a bit of "slurry," and a small amount of timothy. Have tried to dissolve vit. C in warm milk for him periodically.
Once he again eats, I'll try to feed him slurry instead of milk (he does seem rather stubborn on this count)
ANY IDEAS? Is this rear-end paralysis typical of an impacted pig?
Sorry so long-winded, and thanks for response.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:05 pm

How old is he now?

I would stop the milk, their systems can't digest it properly, and that may be part of the issue.

Hopefully some of our experts will have better advice soon.
Good Luck!

(However, he does need, even at this young age, to have unlimited amounts of good quality hay (alfalfa is usually recommended for young gps).

101keller

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Whoops; 2 weeks old

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:16 pm

NO MILK! Do you have critical care?

101keller

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Have CC, but will have to disguise it so he'll eat! Never has liked it.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:44 pm

Do you syringe it into him? Is he eating his vegies and hay? He may be already eating pellets. Milk is NOT good for them, hopefully that hasn't done too much damage to his little system. Does he have his water bottle at a height he can reach?

Give him unlimited hay, I am thinking that is good for him.

Has he not pooped at all?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Read the pup feeding info here: gl/handfeeding.html

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Impaction is an issue that occurs in older boars.

If he's been getting whole milk as a diet, he'll develop scurvy (if he hasn't already).

Give him some extra vitamin C - syringe it in to him daily (scurvy can cause hind end weakness, lameness, etc.)

Offer him fresh veggies. Most newborns will nibble on mom's veggies.

If up until now he's had no fresh veggies, and just hay and milk, chances are very high he has scurvy.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:16 pm

Ditto Mum. Newborn pigs usually start eating hard food on their own right after birth.

Do you have a kitchen scale to weigh him?

No milk. Don't listen to pet store advice. Read the link lynx gave you.

You can get vitamin C supplements at GNC or health food places. Just plain vit c.

101keller

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:39 pm

Well, I thought that I'd be responding withgood news, but. . . .Pedro recovered from his "paralysis" as we increasingly diluted his milk until it was all water and I made certain that he ate enough vitamin C. He drank well, ate hay and pellets(as he had been for quite some time), and even started to nibble a few veggies. He never pooped pellets, his poo smelled pretty bad, and he'd go through every day with a few hours of not eating. I cleaned his hind end and even dipped his butt in a glass of warm water as if he were a tea bag, and this treatment almost always proved successful. I ASSUMED that his little digestive tract was simply going through normal infant adjustment until the day when nothing worked, and it was too late to call the vet.
WARNING to all new pig owners: donot assume anything, and damn the expense of the Vet. If I'd known that he was actually ill and that we'd be so devastated by losing him, I would have done just about anything to save him. Our other 2 pigs are doing well, but there will never be another Pedro.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:46 pm

I'm so sorry that Pedro is gone. He sounds like he was a special little guy. My best to you and your herd.

Many of us have learned about proper guinea pig care the most devastating way - through sadness and loss. I know Pedro's story will be helpful to others in the future.

klynne

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:45 pm

"Diet has been whole cow's milk (started on the advice of a local vet"

Yes, learning sometimes comes from tragedy. Perhaps, when you are up to it, you can give some polite feedback to this vet, so hopefully they do not ever give this incorrect advice again.

I'm sorry about Pedro.

12 posts • Page 1 of 1