Henry- Lice treatment

Feylin

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Henry is may latest addition to the herd (I swear, we are stopping at 3!). He came from a friend who's daughter developed allergies. They were total cavy slaves and took great care of Henry and his female friend (divided cage) but the daughter had to get an inhaler so Henry came to live with us. He fit right in with us.

Henry is about 1 year old and I think Mum told me he was a Peruvian mix (?) He has long hair, but there's a definate crest on his head.

Henry went to the vet last Friday to be checked out while Fred and CJ got their 2nd Ivermectin shot for mites. Henry got a shot too. The vet noticed that he has some white bits in his fur that she suspects are lice eggs. Henry does itch more than the other two.

The vet (who is cavy savvy) gave me a product called Ovitrol Insect Towelettes. The active ingredients are: Pyrethrins, Piperonyl butoxide, N-Octyl bicyycloheptene dicarboximide. The directions say to apply the towelette lightly to affected area and repeat 2/3 weeks as required. The box says it's safe for cats, dogs, horses, ponies, ferrets, rabbits, hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs.

I read all the pages on lice and i didn't see anything about this product. The vet has been fantastic in all other respects and even told me she consults Guinea Lynx, but I'm wary and wanted to ask you experts. If I shouldn't use this, can I use Ivermectin Horse paste? They are already getting the shots of Ivermectin....shouldn't that have dealt with the lice? I'm rather confused here.

Thanks!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 pm

Pyrethrins are supposed to be bad news for all animals, including dogs, cats, and guinea pigs do I don't know what's up with that product insert. I think it may still be approved, but that's what's in those nasty OTC flea remedies. Until you hear otherwise, I would NOT use it. Topical ivermectin (which you can buy and dose yourself) will be effective on lice as will Advantage, which you can buy at many pet stores and online.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:09 pm

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Don't use it. Likely doesn't even work. Get Advantage or Revolution, or topical ivermec.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:11 pm

great! Thanks! I'll print this out to take to the vet.

Can I use my ivermectin horse paste then?

klynne

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:08 pm

"told me he was a Peruvian mix (?) He has long hair, but there's a definate crest on his head"

If that's his only swirly, and he has long straight hair, then he is most likely a Coronet.

Not sure how effective your oral horse paste would be on lice. It would help with any internal parasites, for sure.

I'd probably go with Revolution, myself. Or else add Advantage to the ivermectin protocol you're already doing.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 pm

I thought you could use the paste topicaly (after you re-mixed it to get the correct dose) on the pigs for lice and mites??
I read the pages but I'm asking because there's so much info between there and other threads I've read here and I want to be sure I'm doing it right. Particularly since the vet is now proven to be wrong.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm

No, paste is oral only. It is somewhat confusing. Here's a chart.

Injectable: injection, topical, oral
Pour-on: topical only
Horse paste: oral only

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Ditto, rshevin. We don't recommend using the paste topically. I don't know how well it would work because it's mixed in with other things. You can give it orally though.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:34 pm

Ah, ok then, I get it. I think I'll just return my paste and my no-good towelettes and get Advantage.

Thanks so much for clearing this up for me!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:01 pm

No wait! The Advantage will treat for the lice, but will do nothing for the mites. She could very likely have both. Revolution will treat for both but is very expensive.

klynne

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:01 am

"Revolution will treat for both but is very expensive."

I don't find it terribly expensive. Especially since you aren't buying multiple products--that adds up.

www.petshed.com

Kitten dose.