Henry- Lice treatment

klynne

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:06 am

http://www.petshed.com/products/item107.asp

There's the kitten product--27 bucks will last you thru as many tx's as you'd need, and you may find others to split cost with.

I finally found the Advantage on there, too. For a while, it looked like they were carrying only Advantage Multi now, which has an extra ingredient and is not safe for pigs.

Advantage, 38 bucks:

http://www.petshed.com/products/item3622.asp

Feylin

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:47 am

We are already going to the vet to get Ivermectin shots for all 3 guys. Fred and CJ will get their 3rd shot this Friday. Henry is the new guy and he will get his 2nd shot this Friday. The vet saw what she suspects are lice eggs and this is why I'm asking questions about LICE treatments.

The mites are already being treated. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:50 am

Ivermectin given by injection is sometimes not as effective on lice. They are biting insects instead of sucking insects so topical ivermectin seems to work better.

If you see a recurrence, try topical ivermectin, Revolution, or Advantage.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:09 am

Ok, I'm gong to continue with the Ivermectin shots for the mites. I will ask for Advantage for the Lice on Henry.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:23 am

Ah, ok I think we're all on the same page now. :-) I hope Henry feels better soon.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:55 am

I know! This conversation was starting to make me doubt my own brain. heh.

Henry is mostly just an itchy boy. He coos at me now when I brush his long hair because it feels good!

Feylin

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:34 pm

The vet did not think there was anything wrong with the towelettes she gave me. She said that Advantage was fine too, but it was $38 opposed to the $16 of the pyrethrin towelettes. I suspect you get what you pay for. I tried to explain, but she was reluctant since she says her patients have used it more times than she can count with no problems. I think if I gave her a scientific paper about the drawbacks of it, she'd change her mind. She's very very good vet and I really trust her opinion on most things so far. I didn't want to give up, so I tried to explain Guinea Lynx and how I found my information.

She's had multiple patients come in with "advice" from another forum (I won't mention it)- even one lady who's piggy died from her insisting penicilin from another vet. My vet gave me quite a stern lecture about trusting people on the internet whom I have no way of knowing if they are qualified to give advice. I agreed this was true in general, but that 99% of the advice here meshes with her advice. I showed her guinea lynx page on Lice and it was kind of hilarious watching her eyebrows climb upwards as she kept reading. She told me that if her patients had been getting advice from GL, she would have had to deal with about 15 fewer guinea pig dealths since she started. :(

She's going to refer people here. Plus, she decided to research the Pyrethrins issue further in her professional journals. (Personally, that's what I'd do in most situations.) I told her that anything she finds would probably be welcome here. Not sure if she'll register as she doesn't seem to be that into forums as a whole. Anyways. It's nice to know that she's open to new information and I can see how she was turned off from forum advice.

So, now I have kitten advantage. The box is orange and has 4 .4ml tubes of imidacloprid for cats and kittens 8weeks and 9lbs and under. It says it's only for fleas. I'm going to re-read the page on this stuff since I know I have to mix it.

Generally: Am I right in estimating that a pig gets a drop behind each ear? And that I should treat ALL the pigs? And I repeat it in 1 month?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:05 pm

You have to dose accurately - be sure to read this page:

https://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html

For a 2lb pig you'll give 0.2ccs.

Yes, treat all the pigs.

Feylin

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:08 pm

The advantage comes in .4ml tubes. from the page, 1ml=1cc, yes?

How do you get it out of the tubes (which look like toothpaste tubes) into the syringe without wasting half of it?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Cut the top off the tube. If you have several pigs to dose you won't waste any.

Feylin

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:34 pm

And dispense it from the tube? Or squeze it in to the top of the syringe? Or suck it up with the syringe?

Sorry, i'm not feeling very smart tonight!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:00 pm

Draw up into a 1cc syringe. This is the only way you can accurately dose the pigs.