Ate some thread.

Tandy

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:42 pm

While having floor time, my 4 yo pig found a piece of my sewing thread and was in the process of slurping it up like spaghetti. I tried to get to him, but he saw me coming and like a naughty child with candy ate even faster.

The thread was probably 4-6 inches long. While I am waiting for a thread-wrapped poop to come out, is there any signs/concerns to be watching for? I know some of the obvious. Has anyone had to deal with this?

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:46 pm

I hope all will be ok. I am not a medical expert so I hope one of them will come by with advice.

I had one of my girls eat the strings (ties off a cape that one of our members here Windespirit made me.) I had it beside their cage on a table, it must of been too close and next day I saw the cape had no tie strings anymore.

All must of been fine, that was last year and I didnt ever see it come out or whatever.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Vicky loved string, and I eventually had to tape the ends of my rug under the rug, to prevent them from being chewed off (and the unfinished strings being turned hay-green. She never had a problem with it. Also made the mistake of leaving my tennis shoes within reach one day....

It should pass through without a problem. It certainly never disagreed with Vicky!

jbpiggy
with rage and desire

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:16 pm

My pigs haven't eaten any string *yet*, but I've got a dog that ate a curling iron cord that never came back out. He seems fine.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:34 pm

My pigs have also eaten fabric/string. While you absolutely 100% did the right thing trying to get it away from him, they don't seem to have dreadful responses like cats do.

Tandy

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to double check and to make sure this was not a big concern.

BTW I would hate to see what a curling iron cord would look like coming out! :)

1aicha
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:29 am

a poo string?:)
LOL
Let us know how is the patient?

Nata

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:34 am

I've heard of soap on a rope...why not poop on a string!

tine

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:59 am

how's it now? did any poop-string come out?

i wonder it could be digested on the way...

rshevin

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:06 am

I worry less about natural fibers. I do not believe even a miraculous GP stomach could digest polyester, but my boys chewed some new fleece once and I never saw evidence. Of course, the fleece was thrown out immediately. I never understood why they ate that fleece but never any other kinds.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:36 pm

" . . . he saw me coming and like a naughty child with candy ate even faster."

Forgive me for smiling at your predicament, but you described this so perfectly you had me laughing out loud. I could picture both a little child stuffing down chocolate as quickly as possibly and your little piggie hurriedly scarfing down his newly-discovered “treat” before you could get to him.

amy m guinea

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Jenna loves to pull on any type of string. She loves to have tug-of-war with sweatshirt ties. I have an afghan that has long orange strings that I have to keep away from her, they are addictive! When I try to get it away from her, her eyes bug out as she frantically pulls harder!

Hope all goes through OK!