Advice needed for my girls

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:56 pm

You can add as many as you want to the thread.

A spider bite. Hmm. That is a possibility I suppose, although we only really get daddy long legs inside and they are harmless.

If it is a spider bite is there anything else I should be doing? Someone else also mentioned to me that it looks like a fresh break in her toe.

I suppose the most important question is, do I need to take her back to the vet now as a pose to next Thursday?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:21 pm

It would improve slowly on its own if it were a bite.

I hope it is. An xray might show a break (yes, another decent possibility). A break would also heal on its own in that location, most likely.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:44 am

Here is a collage which shows the picture I took yesterday (on the left) and the picture from last week (on the right). You can see the swelling has come down somewhat in the bottom area of her toe, but still remains almost as swollen in the top area and her nail.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:43 am

I am wondering if this has been present for some time and you just noticed it. Why? Because the nail itself is wider.

p.s. I forgot to add your pics (thanks for saying okay). I'll go add them now.

lisam

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:21 am

I may be off base, but I've had pigs with toes that looked like that before. I always thought it was fungus, and applied an over the counter medication like monistat.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:52 am

It is bumble foot. It has gone to the bone.

The vet decided to take a x-ray. It showed that the top 2 digits of her middle toe are swollen and infected (dont quote me on this, this is the way I understand it). Even my untrained eye could tell that it wasnt right.

So we have 2 options:
1. Amputate
2. Leave it and manage with metacam and bactrim

I decided to amputate. In the end the bumble foot would only spread, she would end up loosing more of her foot and it would cost more.

She quoted me about $200 - going on a previous patients bill. That combined with $200 from last weeks appointment, $100 from this weeks, and then next weeks. Needless to say it is getting pricey.

I will drop her off Tuesday morning. She will have breakfast with the girls first. I will make little baggies of pellets and some vegetables for afterwards, and will take some hay along. I figure if she is kept on the diet she is currently on it will help prevent an upset tummy.

I am very worried about how she will recover from the anesthetic, especially if she is a heart pig.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:30 am

Did you discuss the location of the leg removal? It is important (in the experience of people here) that it be far up the leg so the pig does not use the stump to walk on and it can heal.

Any chance you could post a pic of the xray? I think Josephine put up a pic of bone that had become infected. Maybe I can find it.

https://www.guinealynx.info/photos/josephine-3.jpg

pigsforlife3

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:30 pm

She is only amputating the 2 infected digits I think. Certainly not the whole foot/leg. Should I ask her to amputate the 3rd digit that isnt yet infected?

I didnt get to keep the x-ray.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:50 pm

I am certainly no expert. If your vet feels it is very localized and removal of a couple digits will keep it under control, perhaps that's the way to go.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:26 pm

I think I will ask her to remove all 3 digits (digits was how she explained the 3 different sections) on that toe. Just to be on the safe side.

I will certainly talk to her again on Tuesday morning.

Question to all - As far as we could see on the x-ray (had a bit of trouble getting a good x-ray as she wasnt sedated although the vet said she was very close to sedating her!), only the top 2 sections of the toe are infected. How much do you think should be removed?

She said that we had caught the infection early. She has seen several other cases where it is full blown and mid way.

The Dr I see wont be doing the operation. Dr Vickeridge will be, with my Dr watching on and assisting where needed.

I am close to suggesting that they knock her out, take another x-ray and work on that as to how much they need to cut off. But another x-ray will cost me $60.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:41 pm

I am just setting up Buttercups hospital cage (wont have any time tomorrow, or on Monday so I might as well do it now). I am using the carrier, which is large. I will line the bottom with 3 towels, then put some anti-slipping mat on top. The anti-slipping mat was recommended to me by a friends vet. Apparently she swears by it. I have a small water bottle, a food bowl and a hay rack. What do you think of the set up? I can get some pictures if it helps?

I have been thinking and I honestly dont know how it has spread. She had her metacam and antbiotics on the dot, everyday. We did not miss a dose. We bandaged the toe appropriatley, and this was changed once a day and soaked.

I am now wondering whether taking off just the 2 digits will help and whether even more should be taken off?

Gah I am such a worry wart.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:31 pm

I would hope your vet would make sure only one surgery was needed. Ask her whether another xray is needed to ensure it is all removed.

I wish you the best.