Ate some thread.


Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:42 pm

While having floor time, my 4 yo pig found a piece of my sewing thread and was in the process of slurping it up like spaghetti. I tried to get to him, but he saw me coming and like a naughty child with candy ate even faster.

The thread was probably 4-6 inches long. While I am waiting for a thread-wrapped poop to come out, is there any signs/concerns to be watching for? I know some of the obvious. Has anyone had to deal with this?

User avatar
Got Pigs?

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:46 pm

I hope all will be ok. I am not a medical expert so I hope one of them will come by with advice.

I had one of my girls eat the strings (ties off a cape that one of our members here Windespirit made me.) I had it beside their cage on a table, it must of been too close and next day I saw the cape had no tie strings anymore.

All must of been fine, that was last year and I didnt ever see it come out or whatever.

User avatar
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Vicky loved string, and I eventually had to tape the ends of my rug under the rug, to prevent them from being chewed off (and the unfinished strings being turned hay-green. She never had a problem with it. Also made the mistake of leaving my tennis shoes within reach one day....

It should pass through without a problem. It certainly never disagreed with Vicky!

User avatar
with rage and desire

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:16 pm

My pigs haven't eaten any string *yet*, but I've got a dog that ate a curling iron cord that never came back out. He seems fine.

User avatar

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:34 pm

My pigs have also eaten fabric/string. While you absolutely 100% did the right thing trying to get it away from him, they don't seem to have dreadful responses like cats do.


Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to double check and to make sure this was not a big concern.

BTW I would hate to see what a curling iron cord would look like coming out! :)

User avatar
Ze French Piggies

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:29 am

a poo string?:)
Let us know how is the patient?

User avatar

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:34 am

I've heard of soap on a rope...why not poop on a string!

User avatar

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:59 am

how's it now? did any poop-string come out?

i wonder it could be digested on the way...

User avatar

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:06 am

I worry less about natural fibers. I do not believe even a miraculous GP stomach could digest polyester, but my boys chewed some new fleece once and I never saw evidence. Of course, the fleece was thrown out immediately. I never understood why they ate that fleece but never any other kinds.

User avatar
Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2018

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:36 pm

" . . . he saw me coming and like a naughty child with candy ate even faster."

Forgive me for smiling at your predicament, but you described this so perfectly you had me laughing out loud. I could picture both a little child stuffing down chocolate as quickly as possibly and your little piggie hurriedly scarfing down his newly-discovered “treat” before you could get to him.

User avatar
amy m guinea

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Jenna loves to pull on any type of string. She loves to have tug-of-war with sweatshirt ties. I have an afghan that has long orange strings that I have to keep away from her, they are addictive! When I try to get it away from her, her eyes bug out as she frantically pulls harder!

Hope all goes through OK!


Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:19 am

So far so good. My pigs are on fleece so I can check the poops a little more closely (got the idea from this web site-- Thanks guys!). So far I have not seen any poop linked like sausages :) and he is eating like normal but today he is more tired than usual - I attribute that to the new baby that was just let out of quarantine and is running my older two ragged. By the end of the day my 2yo fell flat where she stood with both legs out behind her while my string eater staggered to bed barely making it there before he passed out all the while the little one is still popcorning over them like she just woke up. Darn whippersnappers! They were able to drag themselves out of bed for their evening veggies, I guess they weren't too tired.

User avatar

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:02 am

All of this just amazes me. Pig stomachs must work very differently than dog and cat stomachs. I wish I had a dollar for every time I had to assist with an emergency sx for a critter that ate string. One end will often get stuck and the other end keeps going. It ends up pulling the intestines together like an accordion. Very bad, sometimes if cuts as it pulls.


Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:57 pm

One end will often get stuck and the other end keeps going. It ends up pulling the intestines together like an accordion. Very bad, sometimes if cuts as it pulls.
That was my concern. I will keep watching so far all the poops just keep on coming and he doesn't look to be feeling any different. Maybe pigs can handle a little string because all the fiber that is going through as well???

User avatar

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:14 pm

I think everyone would agree that regardless of how many non-problems we've seen, it's always best to keep them away from strings and such. But really, it's AMAZING how they can digest things! I think it has something to do with the fiber, gut bacteria, and such things.


Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 pm

I had the same thoughts, CaveSpring.

And, it's probably a mixed blessing that the pig snarfeled it up when caught in the act--many animals have been badly and critically injured when a concerned owner panics and tries to pull the string back *out* from *either* end.


Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Since I have this thread open, I wanted to post a picture of my pigs teeth. Sorry for the bad quality, it was done with a video camera (the video would not upload just the snapshot *frown*) Anyways, my same problem pig had broken his bottom teeth (I have no idea how - I think it was the vet looking at them - he held his mouth open with a tongue suppressor wedged behind his teeth (( I am not happy)). He has been able to eat pellets and hay with no problems, but I had to tear up his veggies into little strips. The bottom teeth are starting to grow back however his top teeth are getting pretty long and starting to curve. He can close his mouth but half of the time he lets it hang open a little. He is fine on his weight, however he is still eating slower.

Do I need to have these taken care of at the vet (a different one) or will he grind this down on his own?



Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:59 pm

How long has it been since the bottom incisors were broken off?


Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:20 pm

If it happened at the vet that would have been about 2 weeks ago. That was when the vet said his teeth looked fine. I had taken them in just for check-ups. A few days after the vet I was checking his teeth and noticed that his bottom ones were just barely visible above the gum line and had an oval shape to edge not flat.

He could have done this to himself as well. He is a dish flipper. He likes to stand on the edge of his bowl and flip it over so all the food spills on the ground. He may have hit himself in the face resulting in broken teeth?? I really have no clue what happened.

Post Reply
36 posts