Chicory/Endive

rshevin

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Ok so I went to Whole Foods because I swore I saw some chicory/endive there last time I was in. I found this (see below) and there wasn't a blasted sign in site! I looked and looked, no sign. Not even a PLU on the twistie, nothing! So I was 90% sure it was endive so I went ahead and bought it. I get to the register and the girl asks me what it is. Chicory isn't in her lookup book. Neither is endive. Um, so what did I buy guys?

And as an aside, I finally found the mysterious wheat berries! You'll never guess where they are in my store. With the friggin RICE and pasta! Whatever. We don't have any bulk food in bins like some of ya'll told me about. We have "packaged bulk" but no wheat berries there. I walked and walked, checked by the flour, checked everywhere except the rice aisle before I found it. They also had millet and barley. Has anyone ever tried to grow these? Are they pig-eating-worthy?

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Sure looks like endive to me. I have heard it called Curly Endive to distinguish from Belgian Endive? Many people confuse it with escarole, maybe they had escarole in their book? ;-)

At my local store they don't tag either of those so I finally learned the code number for each. A few of the cashiers know them, but most do not.

Feylin

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Endive! I think it tastes too bitter, but Lois loves it. The pigs eat it because they can see Lois eating it. Silly things.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:01 pm

I can't count the number of times a young'un has said "this is parsley right" to my cilantro, or flat out run it up as such. I find the younger the cashier, the more I have to explain my veggies so they can ring them up.

Hum, looking at the GL calculator, it matters more than I thought if it's "endive(escarole)" or "chicory greens" because of the Ca:P ratio. I've gotten anal enough to weigh my greens now, to make sure Piggy gets the right ratio.

PaisCashGingGang

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:23 pm

That is a very nice picture of whatever it is lol.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:18 pm

Yup, it's curly endive (escarole) - not to be confused with the belgian endive.

My pigs love it, and it's a staple of their diet.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Ok that's vote #3 for endive. That's a Ca:P ratio of 1.86 yes? I can wait until tomorrow to start feeding, so no rush.

MuffinFace

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:45 pm

That's definitely endive - you might have actually gotten baby frisee, which is just baby endive, i.e. possibly even more yummy for the pigs. And I just glanced at my veggie nutrient list thinger, and the ratio is in fact 1.86.

Yay for mystery vegetables!

rshevin

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:49 pm

Oh, and I forgot to mention it was free. If she couldn't find a code, she couldn't ring it up. Since I couldn't find a sign, I couldn't even tell her how much it was. I feel kind of bad but yet, it wasn't indexed properly AND it wasn't labeled properly so what do they expect right?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:56 am

*snort* I get the cilantro/parsley bewilderment at my store, too. That, and "This green leaf, right?" for anything remotely resembling lettuce.

Topaz

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:38 am

That looks like frisee to me. It looks very similar to curly endive but is smaller.

sjehoel

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:46 am

I'm not sure what it is but it's not chicory. Chicory has wider, yellow-green leaves that are tightly packed together in a cone shape.

Whatever it is, it looks tasty!