Julius's Medical Thread

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:11 am

Baytril/doxy combo (if the pig can tolerate baytril) is a really good combo. Be sure the doxy is dosed adequately at 5mg/kg (it's often underdosed and is not effective at less than this generally).

Can't say on the lotensin. Some vets will, some won't. Try and convince her of the importance of a trial and that heart pigs are very, very common. Print out the heart pages perhaps and show them to her:

https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

Be sure you print out the case studies and information from the two vets.

Not all heart problems show up on xray. And most vets - in my experience - don't recognise enlarged hearts on xray. However, my pages all show pictures of diagnosed enlarged hearts.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:17 am

Haha, i was just printing those pages!

Those symptoms do kind of sound like my Julius - he's always been a sneezer/wheezer, but has recently gotten worse. Sounds from those cases like prognosis is fairly good with meds.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:16 am

Ok, I got a call from my regular vet this morning. She told me Julius looks really pretty good, and is both eating and drinking. I'm hoping he's eating his normal amount, but they obvioiusly have nothing to compare to.

I did ask her about heart disease, and she said she had checked for it on his x-rays, but the heart was not enlarged, and there was no fluid retention in his lungs.
She said as of now, he seemed to be fine on Baytril and wants to continue that another week before adding anything, because she doesn't want to use more ab's than necessary.

I don't know what could have caused that little episode yesterday, but all I can come up with is the ab's could have originally made him not eat, and by taking him off the ab's I made his condition worse, causing yesterday to happen.

So my plan of action as of right now is to keep him on the Baytril for that extra week, and if his weight starts to decrease, hand feed him. After that week is up, I'll see how his weight/appetite does without the meds, and if he still isn't right, I'll take him in for another opinion.

(Yesterday they gave me a number for their referral in case I needed it - always good to have)

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:01 am

Hello Again -

Julius got home from the vet on Monday night, and seemed alot better. He was eating and drinking normally, and from Sunday (2/24) when I took him in to Tuesday night (2/26) he had gone from 2# 5 oz, to 2# 6.5 oz. He is still on Baytril for the URI, but is still sneezing.

He has held his weight between 2# 6 oz and 2# 6.5 oz and is making perfect little poops. However, this morning he seems a little dumpy again - he came out of the pigloo when i shook the hay bag, and ate his parsley but left some lettuce. He ate some hay and has been drinking. It seems like every time he is on the ab's for 3-4 days he quits eating. I'm going to call my vet today or tomorrow, but was wondering if you guys had any insight first.

I'm still wondering about his "heart pig" status, wondering if that could be the cause of his problems - but I can't get my vet to prescribe me anything. :(

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:09 pm

I called my vet, and she agreed to switch antibiotics. The problem is, I'm fairly sure she said she was going to switch him to trimethoprim sulfa.....which would be Bactrim correct?

My only concern with this is if he was already on Baytril, and that wasn't strong enough to get rid of the infection, will Bactrim really help? Isn't Baytril stronger that Bactrim, or is it just different?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:34 pm

It depends on the bacteria. Bactrim is well tolerated and works quite effectively on urinary tract infections. Ideally you culture the bacteria so you know what works best.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Sending good thoughts for Julius!

"My only concern with this is if he was already on Baytril, and that wasn't strong enough to get rid of the infection, will Bactrim really help? Isn't Baytril stronger that Bactrim, or is it just different?"

For what it's worth: my Ginny developed a UTI while already on Baytril for a URI. Bactrim took care of the UTI. They do work differently.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:20 pm

Update: I took Julius in to a DIFFERENT vet (these guys must think I'm made of money!) because I wasn't satisfied with the conclusions of my last regular vet visit.

New x-rays were taken, showing fluid on Julius's Lungs and some around the heart area, it was hard to tell.
Diagnosis : Julius is indeed a heart pig! :(

The new vet, whom I was very impressed with, prescribed Lasix and Benazepril ( a heart med )

Hopefully this will do the trick....

SimplyRachael
Sweet boys!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Yay for a new vet that gives you the answers you're looking for. Hopefully he will improve with this new discovery and medication :)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Fantastic news on a vet who can actually diagnose - and is willing to treat - heart pigs!

Make sure your dose of lotensin is adequate.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:26 pm

Is the Benazepril he gave me just another form of lotensin?

I know, I was ecstatic, even WHILE paying the bill :)

Do you think the heart condition is related to his reduced appetite?
To sum things up, Julius is now on:
-Benazepril (will get percentage/dosage to you later - im not at home)
-Lasix, to get rid of the fluid.
-Bactrim - to finish off his URI.

He actually doesn't mind taking his heart meds, because they mixed them in a syrup suspension. (This is ok, right?) I hate feeling like I have to keep checking up on my vet, but one bad experience and I'm biased.

Thanks for any input!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:35 pm

Reduced appetite can indeed be related to heart problems. Hope the meds help!