Chicory/Endive

Vipergurl88

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:36 am

yup, it's endive :)

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:45 am

I buy 5 different types of lettuce every weekend, red leaf, green leaf, endive, escarole, and romaine. Saturday this girl rang it all up as romaine. Since it's all the same price it didn't really matter, but did she really think it was all romaine? Usually they ask and I explain what each bag is, this chick was too lazy, I guess.

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:55 am

My store always has the fennel labeled as anise.

Ledasmom

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:06 am

Around here they're pretty good about getting all the greens right, probably because it's all different prices - at my favorite store, green or red lettuce is $1.25 a head, endive/escarole is $.99 a pound and romaine is $1.50 a head or thereabouts (I don't generally buy romaine, so I'm not sure). At two stores, parsley is $.99 a bunch, cilantro is more, and they always get that one right too.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:11 am

I'm with you Topaz-looks like frisee to me too. It's hard without being able to see it's exact size. I could be wrong but I think frisee is just immature endive that folks can charge more to sell you.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:21 am

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:54 pm

"Um, so what did I buy guys?"

Nothing. You said it was free.

I've also started to learn (relearn) codes because some of the cashiers are just clueless.

The other day Elmyra and I rang up our own groceries (she enjoys that) and we were so perplexed. Parsley was nowhere on the screen. Turned out, it was listed as "Herbs, parsley". Now who goes looking for parsley under H?

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:42 pm

I know in different areas things are known by somewhat different names, but this is what escarole looks like in my area:
http://www.oakleaf-european.co.uk/galle ... ole640.jpg

This looks like the curly endive/chicory in the stores here.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/v ... eleaf2.jpg

It took me a long time to figure out some years ago, because many of the stores I went to had them both, but labels were often mixed up. Cashiers didn't usually know either. They do look somewhat different from season to season too, individual variations, I guess. If I send my husband for either endive or escarole, he goes by the tag on the shelf and whatever "green stuff" is nearest. So it's always a surprise. ;-)

Did Piggy enjoy whatever you brought home?

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:29 pm

Looks like frissee to me. Our boys love it! I think it's okay, too. I just got a head of organic batavia. It's so nice to finally have something other than romaine available.

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:29 pm

My pigs love frisee so much I grow it in my garden. It's easy as pie, requiring very little care. All the endives I've grown are easy.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:26 pm

It looks like curly endive to me. I buy it a lot. That's a big head though.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:24 pm

No one got to taste the mystery green last night because I'm trying very hard to keep Piggy on the stones diet, to the point of weighing different greens to get the right total ratio.

The head probably isn't as big as it looks. It's been taken apart and soaked in the sink because there was loads of dirt in there. It was a pretty small, tightly packed head. Probably larger than my cat's skull, but not by a whole lot.