Ate some thread.

Tandy

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:19 am

So far so good. My pigs are on fleece so I can check the poops a little more closely (got the idea from this web site-- Thanks guys!). So far I have not seen any poop linked like sausages :) and he is eating like normal but today he is more tired than usual - I attribute that to the new baby that was just let out of quarantine and is running my older two ragged. By the end of the day my 2yo fell flat where she stood with both legs out behind her while my string eater staggered to bed barely making it there before he passed out all the while the little one is still popcorning over them like she just woke up. Darn whippersnappers! They were able to drag themselves out of bed for their evening veggies, I guess they weren't too tired.

Cavespringpiggie

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:02 am

All of this just amazes me. Pig stomachs must work very differently than dog and cat stomachs. I wish I had a dollar for every time I had to assist with an emergency sx for a critter that ate string. One end will often get stuck and the other end keeps going. It ends up pulling the intestines together like an accordion. Very bad, sometimes if cuts as it pulls.

Tandy

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:57 pm

One end will often get stuck and the other end keeps going. It ends up pulling the intestines together like an accordion. Very bad, sometimes if cuts as it pulls.
That was my concern. I will keep watching so far all the poops just keep on coming and he doesn't look to be feeling any different. Maybe pigs can handle a little string because all the fiber that is going through as well???

rshevin

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:14 pm

I think everyone would agree that regardless of how many non-problems we've seen, it's always best to keep them away from strings and such. But really, it's AMAZING how they can digest things! I think it has something to do with the fiber, gut bacteria, and such things.

klynne

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 pm

I had the same thoughts, CaveSpring.

And, it's probably a mixed blessing that the pig snarfeled it up when caught in the act--many animals have been badly and critically injured when a concerned owner panics and tries to pull the string back *out* from *either* end.

Tandy

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Since I have this thread open, I wanted to post a picture of my pigs teeth. Sorry for the bad quality, it was done with a video camera (the video would not upload just the snapshot *frown*) Anyways, my same problem pig had broken his bottom teeth (I have no idea how - I think it was the vet looking at them - he held his mouth open with a tongue suppressor wedged behind his teeth (( I am not happy)). He has been able to eat pellets and hay with no problems, but I had to tear up his veggies into little strips. The bottom teeth are starting to grow back however his top teeth are getting pretty long and starting to curve. He can close his mouth but half of the time he lets it hang open a little. He is fine on his weight, however he is still eating slower.

Do I need to have these taken care of at the vet (a different one) or will he grind this down on his own?

klynne

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:59 pm

How long has it been since the bottom incisors were broken off?

Tandy

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:20 pm

If it happened at the vet that would have been about 2 weeks ago. That was when the vet said his teeth looked fine. I had taken them in just for check-ups. A few days after the vet I was checking his teeth and noticed that his bottom ones were just barely visible above the gum line and had an oval shape to edge not flat.

He could have done this to himself as well. He is a dish flipper. He likes to stand on the edge of his bowl and flip it over so all the food spills on the ground. He may have hit himself in the face resulting in broken teeth?? I really have no clue what happened.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:26 pm

It's possible the dish flipping did it. Bar bitting can as well. I'd switch him to a secured or plastic dish ASAP.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:02 am

Read www.guinealynx.info/_broken.html

Weigh daily. Watch closely to see if the top teeth start to be worn down. If you do see a vet to have the top teeth trimmed, MAKE SURE IT IS ONLY A TINY AMOUNT! Many vets cut off too much worsening the problem.

Once you can see the regrowing bottom teeth, the gradual wearing of the top teeth should begin again. Weighing daily will let you know if there is a problem that must be addressed immediately (also, observe closely).

Tandy

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:19 am

Lynx - thanks for the reminder. I had read that page in the past but had forgotten about it.

From the page
... Too often people (and some vets) get obsessed with the length of the front teeth confusing individuality with overgrowth and attempting to force the teeth to lengths inappropriate for that particular pig. Rule-of-thumb: If the pig is not losing weight - there most likely is not a problem.
His top incisors are starting to curve in a little. I will keep a close watch - so far he is doing just fine. I think with pigs it is good to be a little obsessive (in watching them).

tine

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:33 am

Dear Tandy,

It often happens in Lab (i dealt with hundred of experimental SD rats before), that they fight with each other and cause broken teeth. Just looking like yours, of course your pig might be just an accident of example biting on the cage to hard.

As we dont check their teeth very often and it would be noticed when we found it was dropping weight obviously. Because the upper front teeth is growing too long and damaging the lower gum, also stopping the lower incisors growing out.

What i would do was to use a completely disinfected nail clipper ad clip the front teeth short, and also wet the pellet so it could eat better. It helps.