Advice needed for my girls

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 pm

Oh yes, I dont want more than one surgery. What I was thinking was asking her to put her to sleep, take another x-ray and decide from there what to do. Being asleep, this x-ray will be much clearer. The only thing that is making me hesitate is the money. It costs me $60 for a x-ray.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:44 pm

Talk to your vet and decide what the best choice is.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:16 am

Have noticed that one of the girls (not sure which as they are all together) has weird poops. They are formed and solid, but look like 2 joined together at the ends. Is this anything to worry about or am I just being a worry wort?

Most of the poops in their cage are normal. I can count the odd ones tomorrow morning so you know how many there are if that helps?

Just to add - they are all eating with gusto and have all maintained/gained weight.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:31 am

Quote from Bricks Thread, post by Lynx "By the way, I realize I am getting you mixed up with another poster whose pig will have 2 or 3 toes removed maybe next week. "

I would assume that the other poster is me, and just wanted to clarify that by 2 or 3 digits the dr meant either 2 or 3 sections of that one middle toe. She explained that this is what they call the little sections - digits. There are 3 sections/pieces of bone in a pigs toe.

I am going to ask her to put her to sleep and take another x-ray. Sorry for the confusion.

Her foot looks nothing like Bricks, it is crusty though, on the base of her middle toe and around the sides. The swelling has not come down.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Buttercups operation is in 4 hours and I am so darn nervous.

Topaz

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:33 pm

Sending good thoughts your way.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:10 pm

Thanks Topaz. Just over 2 hours to go.

I just rang the vet and asked her a couple of questions. They still have the x-ray they took last week but cant release it to me for legal reasons. So I am not sure whether I will even be able to take a picture of it.

I will be there at 11am - so in 1 hour and 50 minutes. I think I might go grab a coffee while I wait. It should be only 30 minutes, though I have to check whether or not they will need to keep her afterwards.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:33 pm

They still have the x-ray they took last week but cant release it to me for legal reasons.
Hold on. Was this xray taken for your pig and paid for by you?

If so, this is rubbish. I always take home xrays I get taken and photograph them. I have to sign a piece of paper.

Generally, I return them afterwards.

Incidentally, I am also able to do the same thing with my child's xrays:-p

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:59 pm

I hope the surgery goes well!!

pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:47 pm

Buttercup is home but not too good.

I watched her as she went to sleep. It was awful. They put her in a plastic container, and started running the gas. It made her eyes weep, her urinate, she coughed etc.

Anyway. They took another x-ray when she was nearly asleep (so they she wasnt asleep enough to operate, but enough to take a x-ray). The x-ray showed that the infection remained in those top 2 joints, with the rest of her foot and toe clear. So they amputated from the knuckle down basically.

I picked up a hour later. She was all puffed up and in obvious pain. She was given stuff at the vets, and I have given her a further 2mls of Metacam when we got home. I am to give her Rimadyl at 6pm tonight (now 1:35pm) and again at 8am in the morning, in conjunction with 2mls of Metacam. After 8am we will just continue on with the metacam. She is also still on 6mls of bactrim. On Sunday we go back for a check up.

Her foot is bandaged up, and they used 1 dissolvable stitch. So far I have only been able to get 10mls of CC down her. I am going to leave her until tonight, and then try and get more down.

She will remain in the carrier for at least 24 hours. After that I will make a decision on whether she should go back with the girls or not. After the 24 hour period I think I will divide the C&C cage, so she has a 1x2.5 but is back in with the girls.

Is there anything else I can do for her pain? The carrier is lined with towels, 6 towels thick. She has food and a water bottle, and her cuddle cup.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:04 am

Sending good thoughts for Buttercup, and I hope she has a smooth recovery.

I am sorry that she is still having pain. Will your vet give you anything stronger for her, until she is comfortable?

This may also be helpful:
Max Metacam dose for short-term use? discussion

pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:09 am

Rimadyl is the strongest she would give. I will have a look at that link now. Thankyou.