Advice needed for my girls

pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 am

I should say that she is on 0.2mls as a pose to 2mls. She has been getting this 3 times a day. It seems that most on that discussion recommend 0.2mls twice a day. Does this mean that she is being overdosed?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:29 am

I really do not know.

There seems to be different opinions on how much Metacam a cavy can tolerate, however, some people also seem to feel that it is safe to increase the dose for a short period of time, when necessary.

If this were my situation, I'd definitely ask the vet about the 3 doses vs. 2, and also check in if Buttercup does not improve soon. I'd worry that she will not eat if she is in pain.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 am

I have managed to get some more Critical Care into her. She has also had some more medicine. She is still fluffed up but looking slightly better in herself.

I will keep you all updated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:17 am

If you haven't read www.guinealynx.info/.html , it may help.

I'm sorry you are so worried and she seems in pain. I hope the medication helps.

NiniAriane

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:04 am

Sending good thoughts for quick recovery.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Thanks Lynx, I did read that article.

Buttercup is improving. Her appetite is not back to what it was before but I think this is expected. She has been munching on some hay and veggies. I dont think I need to continue CC but I would appreciate your thoughts.

I managed to get a total of 30mls of CC into her yesterday. She is becoming more active, slowly, so getting medicine into her is becoming harder.

She had her last dose of Rimadyl 25 minutes ago. From now on she is on just metacam and bactrim.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:33 am

I was thinking of Buttercup today, and now am so glad to read that she is improving! I hope she continues to feel better as she heals.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:20 am

Buttercup went back in with the girls a couple of days ago. She is back to her normal self.

I got her out today to take her to the vet and she gave me the fright of my life as she had pulled off her bandage (must have been sometime this morning).

Her foot is very swollen, but the stitch has disolved and scabbed over. No infection so the vet decided to take her off the bactrim, but due to the swelling we are to remain on metacam (but two times a day as a pose to three).

When I went to the chemist a couple of weeks ago to try and find the wash that you lot recommended to soak her foot in I couldnt find it, and the pharmacist said that they were no longer selling that strength. Instead they had double the strength 500ml bottle. Way more than I needed. Anyway, today the vet gave us a little bottle of the stuff (for free!).

So we used that to clean the area, then bandaged it back up.

I am to give her a progress report in a week. The swelling should just go down, but if it increases then she will need another x-ray. So fingers crossed that doesnt happen.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:39 am

The swelling is worrisome. Is the foot tender to the touch? Did you rewrap it?

I hope there is no infection still present.

Thanks for the update.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:48 am

The vet seemed to think the swelling was just normal swelling after an amputation. The foot is not tender, nor hot. We have been on bactrim since all of this started how ever many weeks ago, and continued this right up until yesterday so I dont think there is any infection currently present.

We are continuing on with metacam and so this should bring the swelling down although if it doesnt then we will go back for another x-ray.

We are to bandage it and keep it bandaged for a week (changing only if she rips it off or if it gets dirty).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:59 am

Hmmmm. From my understanding, it's not a good idea to keep things bandaged up all the time. Moisture collects inside and airing the foot can be a good idea. There is gauze over it, right? That would help pull the moisture away.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:08 am

To answer your question - there was guaze over it. Her foot looks pretty darn good at the moment, and the hair has grown back.

But my problem pigs now have what appears to be a fungal infection. On quick inspection both Lily and Buttercup have a mild fungal infection around their eye, though Rosie and Toffee appear to be fine. I am going to bathe all 4 girls in maleseb tomorrow. The maleseb wont be going anywhere near their eyes though - so I am assuming I will need something else as well? I am thinking probably a topical cream, that I can just apply to the affected areas? According to the fungal article, Micomazole and Clotrimazole are the way to go - are these expensive and can they be picked up from the chemist?

Also, have been sick so have been pretty poor with their weekly weighings. Noticed that over a period of 5 weeks (did weigh them once in between this period but have lost the sheet that I wrote it on - as far as I can remember it was steady on 1000g down from 1008g, and it is now 962g) Rosie lost 46 grams - granted 20 or so grams could just be normal flactuation, is this anything I need to worry about?