Julius's Medical Thread

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:37 pm

I have to greatly thank you all for your advice - I honestly never even thought of heart problems, even as much as I go over and over this site.

*Crossing fingers that the meds help...*

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:16 pm

Benazepril is the generic form of Lotensin.

I get mine compounded at 2mg/ml and start each (diagnosed) pig on 0.5ccs twice daily (that's 1mg twice daily). I adjust up or down from there. Your suspension will likely be at a different concentration to the one I have compounded.

Yes, heart pigs lose weight. They generally gain weight once they start on heart meds.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:47 pm

1 mg/5ml is what he started him at - he told me to let him know how he was doing in about a week and we could go from there. He seemed very knowledgeable on heart conditions, and I almost hate to say I trust him - haha.

He is getting 2 ml/day of the lasix, and 1 ml of the lotensin a day.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:50 pm

So, are you saying your Benazepril has 0.20 mg in 1cc?

That's a very low dose - I do hope at least he's getting it twice daily.

I can't tell how much lasix he's getting, since you didn't give the concentration!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:55 pm

Sorry! The lasix is is 50 mg/60ml and he gets one ml twice daily.

The lotensin he is only getting once daily.
The bottle says this.

"Benazepril 10mg 1mg/5ml (2ea)"

To me, (call me crazy) there is 20 ml of meds in the bottle. If there is 10mg of lotensin in the bottle, that equals 1mg/2ml. Which would mean he was getting .5 mg per dose/day, right? Could it be mislabeled?

The lasix says:

"Lasix 50 mg 50mg/60ml (1ea)"

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:10 am

Something's not right here - or I'm not understanding it.

The 1mg/5ml part I take to read that there is .20mg in 1ml (same as 1cc). I think you'll have to call them on it to clarify. Of course, I would be having a 'duh?' moment :-p

He's also getting - I think - something over 1mg lasix twice daily. That's also extremely low. I usually give 2mg or 3mg twice daily for mild fluid retention - up to 5mg for severe hooting.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:23 am

The bad part is, my vet is gone till monday (of course).

Is this enough dosage to help him at least a little until then? He's eating and drinking again - has only fluctuated about an ounce since the gain after our ICU visit.

What im wondering is do I go by the "10mg" written on the bottle? because that "10mg" in the "20 ml" would make it 1mg/2ml, not 1mg/5ml (which is what is says on the bottle.)

I don't really know how to call them and put it nicely that they have the dosage wrong. I'm a new client, and I don't want to make them hate me already, I usually save that for the second visit! I know that Julius's health trumps all, but how do I ask them and not seem to be pointing fingers?

Should I just hold out the weekend and see how he is on Monday?

ETA: Next problem (sigh) - Julius's poos are getting softer than normal. Not liquid, not even runny. Just slightly shinier and a little squishier than normal. If he steps on them you can tell. This never happened till I gave him the lasix and lotensin today. Could they be related? I hope this doesnt get any worse. Some poos are perfect shaped, some are a little funny - all are slightly squishy.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:50 am

I've never known either of those two drugs affect poops or gut motility..

I'd just hang in there, dosing as instructed, until Monday.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:56 am

Grrrr soft poos :( when it's not one thing its another!

No veggies tonight. I don't even know what to do with him anymore!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:58 am

Morning update on Julius:

He came out of his pigloo when I shook the haybag, and ate about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I gave him. He is drinking, eating better than he did yesterday, but in the off-time he still sits in his pigloo.

He still has poos on the soft side, but yesterday he wasn't eating or pooing, so I don't know which is better. They haven't gotten softer since last night - they are still formed, but just squish easier than normal.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Julius seems much happier and feels better tonight. He still sits in his pigloo some, but is not puffed up when he does, and takes more time out to go wheek at his brothers.

He is eating better, all the boys have not been liking the Oxbow so much anymore, and I'm not so happy with their hay either.
Therefore, we have #25 of KM's timothy/BG mix and #10 of KM timothy pellets headed our way!! I'm excited. :)

The other boys seem well also - I'm still having trouble getting weight back on Lew, but hopefully the better food will fix that!!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:50 pm

Next question : Sorry to be so full of questions.

I think my boys may have mites - I have the revolution to treat them (the puppy/kitten 60mg/ml one), but am wondering if I should treat them while Julius is still sick. I don't want to stress him any more than necessary, but want to treat them ASAP.
Poor little guys :(