My poor pig Bob, sick or just scared?

Anubis1179

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:49 pm

yes I was worried about that, but he said he used it on his own guinea pig so I just guessed it was safe to use.

klynne

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:50 pm

Not only is Sevin Dust a very old livestock remedy, it is rather toxic, and really rather ineffective against killing parasites anymore. (May be more effective at killing the guinea pig?!)

It's used in crop dusting and such and many species of pests have become highly resistant to it over the decades it's been used.

I would never apply it directly to any animal.

Anubis1179

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:34 pm

Well I will not be using Sevin then. thanks for the heads up.

klynne

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:42 pm

Frustrating when medical professionals aren't current, isn't it?

I have dial-up and don't think your post about the vet using it on his own animals was up when I was posting.

I'd be interested in asking him how many of his pigs were necropised upon their death--and whether liver and kidney damage showed up.

Ah well. I have very nice vets here. Some good for some things, some better for others. (Just like human docs, huh?)

And I pretty much always run any new drugs or dosages or topical meds by the folks here, before I go use it.

Here's a good place to order Advantage or Revolution online:

www.petshed.com

Make sure you get the Advantage ONLY though, not the Advantage Multi--it has an added ingredient not safe for gps.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm kind of new too and I just went through the lice thing with my Henry. I too have a fantastic vet who gave me a product for lice that is toxic to guinea pigs. She genuinley thought she was doing the right thing. I showed her the info here on GL and she was impressed!

I bought Advantage. You can buy the 4 month doses for kittens. It was $38 which seems to be about right. There's a page here on lice and Advantage which is helpfull. I asked all kinds of questions about dosing and such on Henry's thread and Mum kindly straightened me out. You might want to go over there and check it out.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43710

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:53 pm

I think you'd need to find a more capable vet. They usually just give vit c or diagnose the pig with scurvy by default if they do not know what is up. The sevin dust is bad.

Can you see the parasites on him?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:34 am

I agree with sus4 about finding a more knowledgeable vet. I took my first guinea pig to a vet that seemed like she knew guinea pigs, had some herself, gave the C shot and told me my pig was fine. He died one week later, I wish I had GL then. I'm not trying to scare you, but I would rather do that than have you loose Bob. I think an x-ray would have been a good idea to check for other health issues besides the lice.

Anubis1179

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:57 am

I have gone to this Vet for years with other animals and never had any problems with him. I have always found him to be a good and compassionate person the cares about the animals he treats and have never found anyone that has had a problem with him.

That is why I am so shocked that he said to use Sevin. And yes sus4 he showed me the parasites. He also did not give the diagnoses of scurvy, He gave him the shot "just to be on the safe side".

But I guess I will have to look for another vet for my piggies. Does anyone have any know of a good vet around Pittsburgh, Pa?

magicmoo

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:30 am

Anubis1179. I have found that several vets in my area treat guinea pigs as small cats or dogs-they are good general purpose vets, but not good for piggies.

I asked one about their live success rate for neuters, the receptionist was astonished at my forwardness and stated (in a very clipped tone) "well we have never lost a dog or cat yet, and it can't be much different?"

Have you looked at the vet's list on here? I found a brilliant one on here which was not too far from me.

Anubis1179

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:59 pm

he is listed on here

magicmoo

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Apologies. I would still be wary. Trust your gut instinct.

Anubis1179

Post   » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:52 pm

Well my Instinct is this.

My vet is a great guy who has never steered me wrong before with any other animal. BUT I am really worried about this whole Sevin thing so I am going to use Advantage.

There is another vet on the list from here that is close to me so I am going to try him.

Bob is 2lbs 7oz so I should use .2 cc right?