Julius's Medical Thread

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:46 pm

"Also recommends discontinuing heart meds, at least until his GI tract is back to normal."
Bad idea.

Heart meds won't interfere with his GI tract.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Looks complicated. Definitely looks like your pig was intolerant to baytril. I wonder if bactrim is even the right med. The original problem apparently had to do with eye discharge? Ideally you get a culture to choose the best antibiotic to treat.

These comments are outside of the heart issue and now motility issue. Does sound like a motility drug and lots of hand feeding should get things moving again.

Thank you so much for the summary. Once and a while we get lost (there are so many posts that periodic summaries are helpful to bring new eyes to the problem).

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:42 pm

I'm home from class, and we have what looks like a normal amount of perfect little poos! And his hay pile is flat, and he has been drinking. Yay Julius!

I wasn't real thrilled with taking him off his heart meds - is there really no way they could have caused the lack of poo?

I would put him back on them, but I really don't want to go through all of this again. My original plan was to keep him off them until Saturday when he gets his 2nd ivomec treatment, and is most likely off of the a/b. I am open to suggestion, is this a really bad idea?

I'm going to continue the Bactrim and poop soup him two hours after both doses.

Do you think its ok to not hand feed CC as long as he's eating, pooping and maintaining weight?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Yes, if he's doing okay and maintaining weight, you probably don't have to hand feed him. He might like a little CC mixed up and put on a plate for him though.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks, Lynx. He seems to be eating well, and his weight was actually up a little tonight, even without the extra poo inside! He has been a little more active tonight it seems, maybe because I'm not hovering and watching incessantly for poo. It's funny how they know we're stressing over them.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:20 am

Ok, so this is really wierd. Last night Julius looked the best he had in at least a week. He ate ALL his veggies, and two piles of hay. He's even eating pellets again. He is out right now eating breakfast.

The only thing is, once again, he only gave me two poos overnight! He was pooping like a champ all day yesterday. Does he just not poo as much at night? I guess he could be eating them, I don't know.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:25 am

He doesn't necessarily have to be on the lasix, but if he's not on the benazepril this would worry me.

Julius is started on 1mg/2ml Benazapril and 50mg/60ml Lasix.
I seem to remember we had this discussion before, but I don't have time to read back in the thread. He wasn't getting too much lasix was he? You give the concentration here, not the dosage.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:47 am

Sorry - he was getting 2ml of 50mg/60ml per day Lasix and 1ml of 1mg/2ml benazepril per day.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:50 am

That's such a tiny amount of lasix it couldn't have been the culprit either.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:05 am

I agree. I think it was the a/b's - he is possibly intolerant to Baytril and when we switched him off it, his gut flora never got time to replenish. He's now getting poop soup 2-3 hours after his Bactrim and has seemed to be doing well, except he has only pooped 2-3 poops over night the last 2 nights.

Maybe he's eating them?

He pooped all day and evening yesterday, and we'll see about today.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:36 pm

I came home at 11:30 am today, and Julius had only pooped 3 poos since I left at 9:30. I called my vet, and she told me to discontinue the antibiotic since he has been on it a week, and said that the a/b could be messing with his gut.

Anyone have any ideas how long this morning's dose of a/b will take to get out of his system? He got healthy pig poop as a proibotic last night and today both. If it is the a/b, when should I start seeing improvement?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:06 pm

Update : from 11:30 until 1:30 - two more poos
from 2 - 6, two more poos.

The vet said if i wanted him seen tomorrow, to call in the morning, although I don't really know what she's going to do. Things are obviously passing, just at an incredibly slow rate! I discontinued his a/b after this morning's dose.

Should I call her tomorrow and get him in, or watch him over the weekend? He is still eating and drinking and maintaining weight. He is also STILL sneezing.

I'm sick now too, I'm so tired of this!! :(