Guinea Lynx saves GP's lives....countless times

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:18 am

Thanks for your comments, Cara. They were very helpful -- I'll work them in. A single paragraph summation of your pig's experience and treatment would be great.

squeaker13

Post   » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:29 pm

Hmmmm... obviously I take notes just as well as I did in college. LOL.

squeaker13

Post   » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:06 am

This all started this April, when Spring weather hit and I was so anxious for them to get fresh air. What a retard I was, but I opened some windows and well you can guess...in a few weeks everyone was sneezing, or had a runny nose.

Butters was the worst hit. He had gurgley breathing and looked like he had just finished running a marathon. My husband and I didn't quite know if this was because all of his sows were in heat right after one another and he gets winded after all that lovin'. But it just kept getting worse.

Took him to vet, got him to start Butters on Lasix (to get rid of the extra fluid in his lungs) and a pill form of Baytril. With all that over with, he stopped making gurgle sounds but he still was breathing heavily. To make a long story short, he had a URI that he just couldn't shake. When he finished the last round of AB's, his breathing was pretty good. He was tired a lot, and got winded really easy. I watched his breathing and it seemed like it could be okay sometimes but worse other times. I listened to his heart with a stethoscope, and it sounded like his heart was beating REALLY hard when compared to the other pigs. He did something weird though. We had him on his back (I can't remember what for now) and he jerked his body like a hiccup, I listened to his heart again and it was a very irregular beat. It just didn't sound right, and it scared me.

After reading all the info in Guinea Lynx, and being pretty sure what was going on, I knew enough to use some of the leftover Lasix I had here from his last prescription. A low dose for a couple days wouldn't have hurt him. And when I got back to the Vet (his 4th trip) we had him take x-rays. Vet couldn't hear anything like a murmer (or swish-swish noise) and no fluid IN the lungs. But after comparing his textbook x-ray of a healthy pig, his windpipe looked like it was pushed up towards his spine and very narrow. His chest cavity was filled with fluid so he couldn't see if the heart was enlarged. But with the windpipe narrowed he assumed the heart was enlarged to some degree.

He prescribed Lasix (12.5mg tablet form, 1/2 pill once a day) and Enalapril (2.5 mg tablet form, 1/4 pill every other day) Butters is a 1250 gram boar.

He is doing awesome now. Within 24 hours, we saw amazing results. I don't want to be a pervert, but he's been makin' sweet love for the last 2 days. He couldn't even wait for us to finish cleaning his cage last night. I have Ron Jeremy for a Guinea Pig.

Lynx - feel free to edit this for space and content to keep things concise for the reference forum.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:53 am

Thanks. I'll stick links to original threads when I'm done. Not going to compile it until I'm done reading the Potter book though (half way through).

-Pi-

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:36 am

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone with a piggy on Encard can give me their vet's name (& number) so I can pass on the info to my vet. I currently have a piggy with an enlarged heart who is on Lasix, & my vet would like to discuss with other vets their experience with Encard.

Thanks!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:54 pm

That's an odd/old thread to bring up. You may want to start your own in medical or email people on here privately https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25375

Wheekers3

Post   » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:11 pm

Excellent work guys.

How about "droopy lower eye lid" as some people ( new? ) might not understand what "pea eye" is. I know when I first came across that term I thought maybe it protruded, like a pea.

I was confused.

rubes

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:28 am

Hi guys - Just reading other emails re laboured breathing. My pig was rished to the vets this morning as he can hardly breath. No other signs, eyes clear and nose clear but he keeps opening his mouth and letting out a squeak but his breathing is awful. I am fearing the worst. Being in the uK not sure vet will know of all those drugs you arem entioning- Anyone got any advise or help, do you think its heart problems? I forget to add he has recently in last week had to undergo operation for abcess which was last Tuesday - Could this have affected him in some way? Please help

piggiemomma5372

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:49 am

First, let me say that I hope Butter feels 100% soon. I am sorry to hear that he is and has been sick. I am happy that you had the knowledge to get help to him, and get him healthy.

Second, I would like to second the thank you to Guinea Lynx. Although we have never had anything hugely serious like a heart problem or abscesses; we have had our share of other smaller problems. Every time something has come up all of you have been able to tell us the correct information or point us in the right direction to where the answer is. Even once denouncing what our vet said to the better health of our pigs.

Third, Rubes I hope your piggie is going to be alright!! Let us know what is going on.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:14 am

rubes, this sounds very serious. Was your pig on antibiotics? There may be an infection as a result of the abscess. An xray would show fluid in lungs. Abscesses can be difficult to get rid of. They are either removed in their entirety or cleaned and flushed daily. Usually a guinea pig gets a safe antibiotic at the same time.