Julius's Medical Thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:01 pm

Oh, I'm sorry that you are not feeling well. I hope you and Julius start getting better, and soon!

From my own observations: when I had to switch antibiotics for Ginny, she improved about 12 hours later. Sometimes, though, it can be as long as 2 - 3 days.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:50 pm

Alright, I will keep watching him. The good thing is, that even though it is expensive, my vet clinic is 24/7, and will dole out advice fairly readily. So at least I am never without a vet on the weekends.

Julius has only been off of the a/b for about 12 hours. He is stilll eating and drinking, and pooing some at least. I would much rather be sick than to have him sick!

Thanks, tracis and everybody else, you guys are keeping me sane right now. At least there are some people that don't think I'm crazy for not giving up!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:35 am

I'm going to call my vet in the morning. Is it safe to put him on Reglan without him being seen? I feel bad that he's been there twice this week already :(

Moreover do you think Reglan would help his situation? He seems to eat alright when he's pooping. He eats all the time, but better when the poo is coming.

Grrrr 101 degree fever.

Breaking news: Julius just pooed 5 poos, or at least 5 pellets. They are normal shaped, but some of them are stuck together. Could this be an impaction problem?
I feel better that he's at least pooping, but something's still not right.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:58 am

Grrrr 101 degree fever.
This is normal. See:

https://www.guinealynx.info/norms.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:58 am

See www.guinealynx.info/.html for tips on taking a look at what is going on and cleaning him. More likely something else though.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:30 am

When I woke up this morning, Julius had been pooping all night - some were perfect little pellets, and some were smaller than normal. Other than that, he's pretty much the same - I'm keeping a very close eye on him!

Mum- thanks for the link - it's me with the fever tho! (I should have clarified) :)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:38 am

it's me with the fever tho! (I should have clarified) :)
Oh dear - hope you feel better!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:23 am

Julius was a very thoughtful boy to leave you a pile of presents this morning!

I hope both of you get lots of rest today.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:20 pm

Julius is still pooing, but some are still odd shaped and small. Here's my plan for the weekend/today, tell me if this sounds reasonable.

-Watch him very closely, if he quits eating or drinking start handfeeding CC.
-I'm not planning on taking him to the vet today, I'm going to give him another day or two to get rid of all the a/b's and see if he feels better.

He still looks like he doesn't feel 100%, but the poor guys has been through alot. He hasn't lost any weight. I keep telling him he would feel better if he would stop eating his fleece!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:42 pm

I called Dr. Jacobson (the vet that put him on heart meds) and asked him what he thought of Julius's condition.
This is what he suggested:

-Put Julius back on his heart meds, maybe try halving the lasix dose on the in case that contributed to his Gi troubles (although he doesn't think it did). He said he is most likely sneezing and wheezing again because of the discontinuation of the heart meds.

-Watch him/his poos close - he thinks the ab's caused the GI upset, and said it can take a coupe of days for everything to get back to normal with his eating and poos.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:51 pm

I think your plan for his GI tract is a good one.

Someone with more experience will be able to comment on your Lasix question. :)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Lasix does not cause GI upset that I've ever noticed. My Lady Bug is on it as well as Lotinsen and Vetemedin. No GI problems at all.

Check with Mum if she has not already given you good Lasix doses and good luck!