Cage odors?

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:45 pm

Part of the problem could be the amount of fleece you're using. When I used fleece, I never used more than a single layer. Under that was a layer of towels followed by a layer of puppy pads. The dryer sheet is also keeping the fleece from wicking as well. If you have a compartment for liquid fabric softener in your washer, you might want to put in some white vinegar.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:18 pm

Yes, I agree you're using too much fleece and not enough absorbent material. You want the pee to be able to quickly wick through the fleece and onto the towels underneath. I found some big, thick, nice towels at Kmart for really cheap that have been the best for my cage so far. I have 1 layer of fleece, 2 layers of towels, and 1 waterproof crib pad. It also helps a lot for a pig who pees in pigloos and such to have a small bed underneath that you can change daily. My beds are a cheap flannel baby blanket folded underneath a cheap fleece baby blanket. I change those daily. You could use old hand towels instead of flannel if you wanted, or the irregular microfiber towels from the auto section of Walmart. Anything absorbent really.

If you've been using dryer sheets you need to wash all your pig stuff on HOT water with a little detergent and maybe some bleach to get that residue off. It may take 2-5 washes before it's all out. The vinegar will do a much better job of softening the laundry than you expect. I was quite surprised!

LizzyM

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Should the towels be cut to fit perfectly in the cage or can they be folded over so that they are thicker. I just changed over from carefresh to fleece with the towels underneath and it seems uneven. I did'nt know if it mattered. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time around with the fleece!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:06 pm

I fold my towels underneath the fleece, so they fit the cage. It may end up slightly "bumpy" under the fleece, but it is soft and cozy, and the pigs do not mind.

The thicker your towel layer is, the more absorbent it will be.

ramzo19

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:02 pm

VP - don't you then just end up with the strong smell of vinegar in that room? I love vinegar in food, but whenever I clean the cage with the vinegar solution it gets to be pretty pungent in the room.

EllieMom

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:16 pm

I fold my towels underneath the fleece, so they fit the cage. It may end up slightly "bumpy" under the fleece, but it is soft and cozy, and the pigs do not mind.
That's what I do, too. It's like they're walking on fluffy clouds. Heaven forbid that their little starfish feet should have to touch anything not cushioned and comfy. They really do act like I'm torturing them if I dare put them on the uncarpeted floor for playtime.

MommasMenagerie

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14 pm

I have 2 boys in a 2x4 cage, pick up poops daily but only change the fleece once every 5-7 days.

I use 2 layers of fleece on top of the hospital/incontinence pads. I found them on EBAY and they are a breeze to use.

I also want to add that I notice my boys cage will smell horrible the day after feeding them parsley...

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:33 pm

I clean a lot with vinegar so I think I am immune to the smell. LOL

rshevin

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:02 pm

The smell goes away after you wipe it off and the surface dries. It doesn't linger in laundry when you use it to soften either.

EllieMom

Post   » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:14 pm

Vinegar worked so well on the pigs' laundry that I tried it on my son's football clothes (which smell to high heaven). It worked beautifully for those, too. And he didn't smell like a salad at all.

Maria1986

Post   » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:42 am

My Mum and I (when I lived there) have been using Vinegar on my brothers rugby clothes for years, its so good at getting rid of that nasty stale sweat smell!

I think the people at my local Tesco think I am crazy as I will go in and bulk buy huge bottles of the White vinegar. I use it for alsorts of cleaning stuff!

Autaven

Post   » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:47 pm

Can I ask for those of you who wash your fleece with the washing machine - what do you do about any of the pigs hair which is on it? Is it safe to put these in the washing machine even with hair on them? Surely it would damage it after a while?