Julius's Medical Thread

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:22 pm

Julius just had his nightly weigh in, and while he didn't gain, he maintained his exact weight from last night. He is still eating pretty well, and drinking.
He is also leaving me a pile of perfect little poos. Perfect shape, size and color.

find this encouraging, partly because of last week's problems and partly because usually that means they're eating enough. (right?)

Has has been more active today also, he and Mouse keep chattering at each other through the bars.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:53 pm

Julius wants to say thanks for all the good thoughts, and he really is trying to get better!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:27 am

Julius is very handsome! It sounds like he is feeling much better.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:59 am

He is feeling some better I think - he almost got in trouble last night, though.
I cleaned their cage around 11, and when I went to bed at 12:30, no Julius poo. I woke up at 2 to check on him - no Julius poo. I woke up at 5 to check on him - perfect Julius poo everywhere. I don't really know what to make of that.

He ate his entire pile of Timothy hay last night ( I don't think he likes the Bluegrass so well), so i restocked him at 5:30 this morning. He's still eating pellets and drinking, and besides that little episode last night, pooing perfectly.

He is however, still sneezing. So here's my dilemma. Should I take him in and get more a/b's and risk GI upset? I would for sure get him cultured this time, to make sure we were getting it. My last vet told me he was fairly sure Baytril and Bactrim would have gotten anything, but I don't know.

Second dilemma - I don't really have time until Wednesday to drive him to Marshalltown to the vet. Am I safe to wait until then as long as he doesn't get worse and keeps eating? He has never really gotten worse, it just depends on the day how bad he is.

Any thoughts?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:35 pm

So I weighed Julius this afternoon, and he was the exact same weight as yesterday, 2 # 4 oz. I had him out a couple minutes ago, and threw him on the scale again (I don't really know why) and he was about 2# 3 1/4 oz. Am I freaking out unnecasarily? I know our weights flucutatue throughout the day, i would assume they are the same?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:16 pm

Yes, there are variations during the day.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks! Ever since he's been sick, the tiniest things make me worry :( He was just wheeking for his veggies and giving me evil piggie eyes because I fed his brothers first.

Still contemplating another vet visit for the sneezing and a heart follow up/recheck.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:27 pm

Julius is having a bad time again :(
He was sneezing all night last night, and I cleaned out his cage at 5:30 this morning, and he has not pooed since then.

He ate some hay last night, and will eat off and on, but hasn't eaten a significant amount.
He is sneezing and wheezing quite a bit.

I have a vet appointment for either this afternoon or tomorrow, I have to get ahold of my boss and see when I can get off work.

What should I have the vet look for? To summarize, as of right now, he is not eating well, or pooing, and is more lethargic then he has been in awhile.
could he still possibly have a URI? Could the sneezing and not eating be because of his heart problems?

I don't know what to do about the lack of poo other than see if I can get him on some Reglan - he was pooping fine yesterday, it's just off and on he doesn't. He will still come out of his pigloo, but when he trys to eat he starts sneezing and just gives up on it. He is still drinking.

I'm quickly running out of money to help him, and we have to get it done right this time. I'm starting to get quite concerned about him, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:20 pm

On the way to the vet.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Still holding good thought here for Julius.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:37 pm

I wish you the best.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Back from the vet. Dr. Jacobsen re-xrayed Julius - he found no blockages that were causing him to not poop, but he said that his lungs looked different than before - instead of being filled with fluid he had inflamed air passageways and they had some mucus in them. He suspects either an continuation of the URI or possible beginnings of pnuemonia.

He prescribed doxycycliene (spelling?) at a 10mg/ml concentration. I am going to handfeed, as Julius is not really eating much of anything at all, and we hope to see a rally here in the next couple days.

Julius is still sneezing, and since we got back from the vet his wheezing is fairly bad, and sometimes is somewhat of a whistle.

We are keeping Julius on the heart meds also - I forgot to ask about upping the dose (stupid me) but he said we could reevaluate when his lungs cleared up.

I'm really hoping the dosage for the doxy is ok, and that it's not a bad thing that they are both in a syrupy suspension.
I'm going to go and get some acidophelous tablets and start him on CC, the tablets and some poop soup in about 2 hours.

I really want him to rally soon - does this sound like a feasible plan to get him on the road to recovery?

ETA: Dr. Jacobson thought that the reason for no poop, and not eating were because of the respiratory situation.