Need help choosing the best hay

Sherry74

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Before joining this site I always thought the Kaytee hay from Wal Mart was good hay to feed them. But after reading up I realize that it's not so great. It's chock full of stalks, that I usually end up stabbing myself on and it just doesn't look healthy.

Where do you get your hay from? Our local petstore sells the same stuff, just in larger bags. We want something more nutritious at a nice price for our pigs. They go through a ton of it so we're thinking a 45lb bag would be great for us.

So, I was looking at the Kleenmama's Hayloft site. Has anyone used this site? I am assuming so since it's a link off Guinea Lynx. What is the shipping like?

What do you buy, 1st cut, 2nd cut, 3rd cut? I'm confused on that bit.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:10 pm

I only feed my pigs Kleenmama's hay.

If you do a search for Kleenmama, you'll find a ton of threads on how wonderful we all consider this hay.

Go to www.kmshayloft.com and see how much it will be to be shipped to you. For me, in California, the total works out at about $1/lb - weigh cheaper than I can buy packaged hay here.

Lovemypig

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:13 pm

A big wheek for kleenmama's hay. There's even a thread devoted to it!

My boys love the 3rd cutting. It's soft, barely any hard stalks, just right for my pigs.

Once you order from her, you'll never want to use any other hay.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:16 pm

KM's hay rocks! It's the best stuff out there. I also "serve" the 3rd cut timothy. KM's has many fans here.

Sherry74

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:21 pm

Should I just get Timothy hay or a mix of Timothy and Bluegrass?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:25 pm

Piggies appreciate having a variety of hay. I would get the 1/2 and 1/2.

Sherry74

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:26 pm

Wow...shipping is expensive!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:31 pm

Be sure you figure the actual cost of say KM's hay shipped as opposed to Oxbow or one of the better hays. Compare pounds to the cost of little bags.

Unfortunately, everyones shipping has gone up, not just hay prices.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:32 pm

Yup, shipping IS expensive but like Bugs Mom said, figure out the price per pound. It's likely cheaper than the kaytee when you figure it up that way.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:34 pm

KM's hay is amazing. I got my first 25 pounder on Saturday, and the boys LOVE it. I compared oz for oz (including shipping) and my Oxbow was costing 5x more per ounce, and I had it shipped from WA to IA, along with 10 pounds of Timothy pellets, which the boys are also heartily recommending!

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:58 pm

A couple of times over the past year, I planned badly and didn't reorder from KM before my stock ran out. You don't realize how wonderful her stuff is until you have to fall back on something like Kaytee again. The pigs rebelled!!! I have used a mix of Timothy and Bluegrass in the past. Seriously, if you calculate what you're paying on per oz. basis for KMs including shipping versus other alternatives, you realize how cost effective it is. And your pigs will be in heaven!

SweetWhisper

Post   » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:25 am

I live in Massachusetts, so the shipping must be about the same. Yes it does cost a lot to ship, actually more than the hay itself. But I have found it is still cheaper than buying from a pet store and the quality of the 3rd cut is awesome. The hay from the pet store is about $5.00 a pound, KM's is about $1.00 a pound, even with the shipping cost it is still less than the pet store.