Chew Toy Question

Trick

Post   » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:13 pm

The baking ages/dries the wood and kills off any parasites, fungus or bacteria that might be in the wood. I think 325 is the usual temperature quoted as being best, but it only works for smaller twigs rather than fairly thick wood - you'd probably want to boil that. Just scrub it and bake it.

Having checked though I remember that apple tree wood doesn't need baked, it can be eaten fresh :) I have no idea why that is though.

I forgot to mention as well that pine cones are brilliant! Just bake them to sterilise them (or buy them organic) and they can keep piggies entertained for a long time. My girls love chucking them around but then I have to hide them all for a couple of weeks or they get labelled as boring, heh.

Sherry74

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Yes thank you Vanilla, I wanted something in addition to the hay. :)

Trick, that's an excellent idea. My in laws have a ton of cones littering their yard. Not sure of the tree type..some kind of pine I guess. Does the type of tree/cone matter?

Trick

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:13 pm

I don't think it would matter as long as they are the short chubby cones rather than the long thin ones which tend to be flaky rather than woody :)