What does Shilintong look like?

pax
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:42 pm

Sef and I are trying to figure this one out. My first batch which worked wonders was a brown pill. I gave 1/2 in the AM and 1/2 in the PM. The second batch came from FarEast Ginseng and is a little yellow coated pill. I have to soak the coating off since Kirbs hates it. Also, it doesn't seem to have the same positive effect on him. Sef is kind enough to send me some of her brown ones, but I need to buy more. Has anyone else had this experience?

TWP_2

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:07 pm

Actually, yes, although we crushed up the yellow pills into a fine powder. It was more difficult to administer, and has a very bitter taste.

Since it is an herbal "remedy", I really wonder how to tell if it's the right stuff. I feel like the old (brown pill) stuff helped Gilbert and Sully, but I don't think the yellow pills did much if anything for Widget.

pax
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:39 pm

Wow. I saw the difference in one day. Any thoughts from anyone else?

rshevin

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:43 pm

This is one of the reasons I'm uncomfortable with herbals. I DO believe they work, but something like this, how in the world do you know what you were giving him that worked if the "same thing" obviously isn't doing the same function now ya know.

pax
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:58 pm

I checked the ingredients. Some sites listing it say it contains snowbell leaf tickclover. Those appear to be the brown pills that are effective. The yellow pills are not the same herb although they are listed as shilintong. The ingredients on this bottle is some herb with "Coin Leaved Desmodium". Of course this is the easier one to get. Urgh. Sef is graciously mailing me the remainder of her brown pills and thinks she may have a place to purchase them in her area. I am hopeful for Kirby's sake. The best thing we can do is post our experiences with this herb to help other pigs with stones.

G Gordon Piggy

Post   » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:46 pm

I just ordered a bottle from Far East, and they did send me the brown pills. The have a special comments section when you order where you could specify your desire for the brown pills. I have been crushing one pill per day into powder with one of those plastic pill crushers that you turn (check your chain drug store - CVS). I sprinkle it on her veggies every night. It does indeed work for enlarging my pig's "plumbing." Her poops are much larger and she does not strain in pain any longer.

I posted a thread last month about her spay and tumor removal that was very involved. She still has part of the tumor wrapped around her bladder that cannot be removed, so I thought this herb would help her have a good quality of life.

JoePig

Post   » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks for that information G.Gordon.Piggy.
That is very useful and may help my pig!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:19 pm

I sent the original box, too, so you will be able to compare the ingredients.

Sebastian actually liked the taste of it.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:08 am

Oh no, I just got the yellow pills as well. I do not want to give these! Interesting note: they were manufactured way back in 2004.

So, Far East Ginseng still has the brown ones upon request?

Little Bit has been using the brown ones for two years, and I don't want to discontinue them. I have never received the yellow ones before.

G Gordon Piggy

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:33 am

I should clarify what I wrote before. I ordered my first bottle from Far East two weeks ago and got lucky since they sent me the brown pills. I didn't specify a preference in the shipping comments field because I wasn't aware of the different pills back then. I just thought this field would be a good place to ask for the brown pills only. I have no idea if they even read the shipping comments. So, if anyone orders from them, please let us know if they do ship the brown pills on request.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:31 am

Has anyone found any other place to order shilintong from?

I e-mailed Far East to ask about the brown pills. I will let you know if I get a response.

Animalz_Rule14

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Can I ask a silly question... What is Shilintong? It is just for use for a UTI or can you use it on pigs with stones? I have an elderly pig that has a stone, I would love a medicine to help get rid of the stone before I opt for surgery!