Advice on what to tell a pet sitter

Feylin

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:23 am

I'm going to California this coming week and I'll be gone from Thursday the 20th until Sunday the 30th. The pigs will be staying with some friends for those 10 days. The friends are very excited- they had guinea pigs for years and their last pig died of old age a few years ago. They don't feel like they could own one again, but love the idea of having some visitors.

So. This couple had pigs years ago and have never heard of C&C or fleece. They "spoiled" their own pigs the way they had been told by the pet store. Which means ....not very spoiled by our standards! They never hesitated to take a pig to the vet and spent a lot of time and money on bladder stone surgery for their last boy. But they still thought pet store cages and small amounts of hay were OK because they didn't konw any better. Am I making sense here? Very uneducated but caring and dedicated people.

I'm not worried about them taking care of mine- they will follow whatever directions I give. They have made several comments about how they wish they had known about C&C cages. I"m going to build a temporary C&C house for the pigs over at the pet sitter's house.

SO. Any advice on what directions to tell these folks? They already asked for the vet's name and number and told me they would take the pigs if necessary and they don't mind paying for the vet and having me repay them when I return. Besides sending them over to GuineaLynx, That's as far as i've gotten.

What else should I tell them? Any advice on things you've noticed with pet sitters?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:24 am

Do you have a Cavy Health Record book from GL? You could give them one of those to read - lots of useful information.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:27 am

Thanks, Mum. I do and I'll send that along. I'm sending a giant box of my KM hay too- I'll leave whatever is left for them to give to their Chinchilla.

rshevin

It may be easier to use disposable bedding for your petsitters. For 10 days, they'd likely have to change the fleece twice, but shavings only once. I'd ask them which they're more comfortable with. Shavings are just more often within people's range of experience ya know.

Some people bring veggies bagged up 1 day at a time. 10 days is a long time for veggies to last though, so you may need to leave an envelope with cash and a grocery list (and make sure they know what different kinds of lettuces are!).

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

I would leave a list of feeding instructions for pellets and veggies. They more than likely free-feed their pigs, and you may want to remind them that your piggies only get 1/8 of a cup per pig twice a day. For veggies, I would leave a very detailed list of how much of each thing they eat so their bellies do not get upset while you are away.

Are you planning on your petsitters keeping your piggies on fleece while you are away, or are you putting them on disposable bedding for that time?

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:29 am

If you ever need anyone to take your pigs while you're gone, I'm not too far from you. I love piggy guests I can spoil and send home.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:40 am

Well, they seemed very interested in the fleece. I think they are trying to decide if they want pigs again and want to know how to do it "right". They asked me tons of fleece questions and didn't even blink when I talked about sweeping poops twice a day.

So I think they will stay on the fleece. I'll put an extra layer of towels under it though. I'm not sure if they want to totally strip and wash the fleece and towels... I'll ask.

Good idea about the veggies. I'll make the salad and give it to them and then leave money to buy more. I won't get to complicated though- just tell them that green leaf lettuce (not iceburg) is ok.

And, ohh, Erin! I didn't know you were so close! That's lovely of you to offer! i'll keep it in mind since I'm gone for a longer time this summer. My parents happily take Lois but they are afraid that their dogs will eat the pigs. :(

rshevin

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:47 am

If they're interested in fleece, go for it! I really don't think it's very difficult at all. I find sweeping twice daily to be easier than spot cleaning shavings. The washing may be a problem. You can probably squeak out only having them change the cage once and then putting the dirties in a garbage bag, but they will be SO rank by the time you come home. There's so way my 2 boys could stay on fleece for 10 days without a full change, even with extra towels. It would reeeeeeeeek.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:48 am

Might not be that close for short trips, but any length of time, I can surely meet you partway.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:48 pm

erm. I don't sweep my fleece. I just empty the litter boxes and cuddle cups. We use vetbed, so it doesn't really sweep. If you try to sweep it, you just get catapulting poos all over; and they hurt when you get pelted in the face. We need to hoover, but it scares the boys, so I just don't do it.

The grocery list is a great idea, but be sure to include quantities. If they were 'old school' piggy slaves, they might be tempted to give too many carrots or fruits.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:37 pm

Well, I'm over here pet sitting for the friends who will watch the boys for me. They said they are fine with washing! I'll just make sure I have 2 sets of everything.

They have enough space for a 2x7 cleared- 2 grids bigger than my current setup! Crazy.

I think that I'll make a menu for them because they really are "old school" slaves.

Thanks for your advice, guys.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:14 pm

If they're Internet-savvy, have them join GL (or give them your login information). If there are any problems at all (or if they just want to yak), we'll help them.

If they choose to sign up themselves, just make sure they identify themselves as your petsitter so we'll know.

They may be old school but they appear to be quite open-minded to learning new things.