Where are the small animals in Petsmart?

PaisCashGingGang

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:55 am

Reluctantly, I needed something for my dog at Petsmart that I could not get elsewhere and I needed it quickly.

Happily, I noticed that they are not currently selling most small animals. They did still have hamsters :(

Does anyone know what is going on?

liluqt

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:00 am

Nope, the small animals are still well and alive over at my PetsMart. Guinea pigs included.

PaisCashGingGang

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:03 am

Dang, I was hoping it was a corporate thing. Must only be in Pittsburgh.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:44 am

We've got loads of small animals, although the birds aren't for sale at the moment, due to some kind of infection. But there are guinea pigs, rats, hamsters, gerbils, chinchillas, and mice.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:12 am

No. Maybe that store doesn't carry them or isn't carrying them for the moment.

PaisCashGingGang

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:22 am

They had small animals before.

They have a sign in the bottom two rows of the pet area that say "Reserved". I have seen these signs used for the birds too.

Lovemypig

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:24 am

They have a sign in the bottom two rows of the pet area that say "Reserved". I have seen these signs used for the birds too.
I've seen those signs. That was back when I would walk past the cages. All it means is they're getting ready for more. Damn them.

Anubis1179

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:34 am

The Petsmart by me still has all kinds of small animals.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:22 am

The Petsmart by me still has all sorts of small animals and now even promoting them for Easter. Sigh

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:04 am

Unfortunately they're still here, too. Not as many (seem to have more birds, oddly), but hamsters, chinchillas, gerbils and pigs. All there.

Sherry74

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:34 am

That probably just means they've sold out on those particular animals and are getting more.

Honestly, what is wrong with buying from a pet store? I'd rather get them the heck out of there then leave them!

GuineaPinny

Post   » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:38 am

Because if you buy an animal from a pet store then you give the pet store more money to put more animals in poor conditions. Also invariably these animals will be sick, and so it detracts financial resources from animals in shelters and rescue.

edit: not applying this to when it is an animal cruelty seizure and therefore a rescue effort, rather than keeping the cycle going.

And I imagine it sends a poor or mixed message when rescue or animal lovers are patronizing places that abuse animals.