Why Limit Carrots?

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:32 pm

Hidey ho...new member and I was reviewing the general care tips at GuineaLynx on accounta my getting my first cavy since I was a kid (many moons ago)

Had wanted one for past ten years but my wife was very negative about "having a rodent in the house".

Then almost out of the blue, she offered to get me one this past October.

She was very nervous but within about a week, Petey is now her favorite house pet.

QUESTION...I see a reference in the dietary tips section about "Carrots - but only one per day"

What are the reasons for limiting carrot intake?

We have been feeding him a solid handful most days since we got him.

Also green peppers and romaine lettuce...Apples, melon, occasional grape. He's fairly cool about tomatoes...ignores them usually.

Oh, Peter J Cartman is now approximately 6 months, weight unknown (gonna buy a scale asap), but he's steadily grown and maintained weight since we got him as a baby in October.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Carrots are too sweet and can throw off their tummy flora. They should be treats. Our boys love them, too, but it's not good for their long term health. Same goes for apple and melon. Leaf lettuce and hay should be the staples. We feed romaine most of the winter as that's about all we can get other than the expensive bags of chopped up stuff or iceberg.

And where are the pictures of Petey?

Lovemypig

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Welcome!

I believe it's the sugar content in carrots that's not great for them.

In addition to romaine, please add green leaf, endive, red leaf, etc. The calcium content in romaine is a concern for some pigs (stones).

Don't forget unlimited hay is a must for cavies. Alot of us get our hay from www.kmshayloft.com.

Have you checked out C&C cages at www.guineapigcages.com? They're large, easy to build and so cheap. I don't know if your pig is already living in one. It's fun to build (really gets the engineer/construction blood going in you) and it's so rewarding to see your pig zooming and popcorning with delight at the large living space.

Finally, you have to post a picture of your Petey! It's always a requirement here!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:55 pm

For carrots, its the sugar and the vitamin A and something else I can't remember. Anyway, too many can cause problems with the liver.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:57 pm

I'm betting that your pig has orange poop, right?

A handful it absolutely too much sugar - and carotene (think carotene poisoning in people - they turn orange).

So, back to one small baby carrot per day, and a variety of other fresh leafy green veggies (at least one cup per day)!

Unlimited grass hay, such as timothy, should be the staple, along with 1/8 cup high-quality pellets per day.

magicmoo

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:31 pm

Bethie-can't you get other lettuce?

I can usually find round, curly and little gem quite easily. Get mine at Tesco.

I am a little ashamed to say that my pigs must be the only ones in the piggy universe that are indifferent to carrots. I moved their bowl a short while ago and the half carrot my daughter sneaked in is still there-sliced up and untouched.

Animalz_Rule14

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:08 pm

I know what you mean Bethie! I have resorted to buying pre packaged lettuce this winter for the first time. It costs £1.83 for a 2 day bag for four pigs and another £4 for four days lettuce for the other two pigs(they have a special diet).. Yeeps I am spending alot this winter! The ones with ice berg in are ALOT cheaper, meh cheap rubbish!

Maria1986

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:14 pm

I am gonna have to gloat then (my apologies Steve for doing it on your thread)

I spend £5 - £6 a week on veggies from the market, and I get Endive/Escarole, Romaine, parsley, Coriander, Lollo Rosso (I think thats what its called, the red curly/frizzy one), and the one like the Lollo Rosso but green - I call it curly lettuce.

Plus the green grocer has a tortoise so she totally gets me buying these veggies for my piggies and even keeps over little bits of fruit for me that are an odd shape, or have been bruised on one side but that can be cut off and the rest given as a treat to the piggies. This week they got an apple that was bruised on top, but the bottom half I would have eaten, so the top part got sliced off and they got the rest. And all for free too!

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:15 pm

I claim no ownership to any thread and appreciate any sincere feedback. Thanks for Replies so far.

Gotta tell you that I pulled up GuineaLynx when we first got Cartman (wife will only call him Petey...what can I tell ya) and I overlooked the Forums.

So I did see them today while refreshing my info on food advice and holy cow....

I am a gardener by trade, but also an avid sports handicapper. As such I happen to be an active member of the busiest sports handicapping forum in the world. They have in eight years about 3.5 million posts covering every major sport in North America and the UK. I think that's pretty busy online activity.

And then I see you folks here have over 1 MILLION posts about GUINEA PIGS?

There's obviously some serious need here for pyschiatry.

And thus I feel right at home.

Pictures of Peter J Cartman to follow...had to dust off the digital cam and put in fresh batteries for this Big Event

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:29 pm

General stock photo of Petey at a distance (suitable for framing or advertising for major studio films etc)

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:31 pm

One of the challenges facing the life of any SuperHero is of that they often have both a Dark Side and a Lighter Side

Dr Evil Petey

Good Petey (via skycam)

Zoe

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Welcome!

Carrots and fruit are like candy for piggies. A little is fine, otherwise it's like feeding too much candy.

So... you considering a buddy for the very handsome Peter J Cartman?....