Why Limit Carrots?

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Not only did my wife impede me from having a cavy for many years due to misguided prejudice (had them slotted with city street rats...heh), but she was also concerned that one or both of our cats would eat him.

As we can see in this Warm Family Foto below, she is now leading member of Petey Fan Klub and our female cat is utterly bored by Petey's presence

(Our 20# Tom cat runs from the bed when we bring Petey in to visit...Who knew?)

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:42 pm

ZOE, thanks for the good metaphor. He's off of carrots now save for one per day.

Wife did buy some turnip greens today and he's not digging it. But she likes em, so he'll make do with the steady lettuce, pepper timothy hay.

Ayuh, I want to hook up a housemate for Petey, but I need bigger housing. He's already outgrown the 20gallon fishtank I had on hand when he came on board.

I see PetSmart has a pretty good looking 3-tier "cage"-style house with ramps connecting the two levels.

Seems that would be good for 2+ cavys (ssshhhh...wife is still absorbing the reality of one), especially if I put food on top level where they would need to climb

I need to consult with youse here before I do that (probably this next month) so I correctly handle the social aspect of putting a baby boar in with a more mature boar. I'm guessing there's some Threads on that here, eh?

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:45 pm

Oh, I do get Petey some exercise probably once a day average by just closing off the door to my office (and the two closets) and just letting him loose on the floor.

The only thing he can get behind is the TV stand which is on wheels so I can flush him out when ready.

Hell, I get some exercise myself because it probably takes me at least five minutes to corner him.

Are there effective techniques to get a cavy to come to me on command (or via attraction of some kind)? Guessing you got a Thread for that one too.

twofinepigs

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:48 pm

You're gonna love this - because we're going to tell you no Petsmart, no commercial cages, no tiers.

Cubes (available at Target and other stores) and coroplast (available at sign stores and other places.) That's the trick. Cheaper than commercial cages, easy to clean, and make your pig(s) very happy.

You ain't seen nothin' til you've seen the high-speed cornering of a highly competitive heat of butt-tag in a C&C cage!

rshevin

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:50 pm

Ah! The next website you MUST visit is www.guineapigcages.com

That petsmart cage, in addition to being seriously overpriced, is never going to be pig enough. Pigs need horizontal space. Layers and levels are pretty much useless to them and should only be used in addition to a suitably sized base.

And don't forget, you should ADOPT a friend for Petey! There are so many homeless pigs in shelters and rescues around the world. Poor little homeless babes.

Oh, and Petey will likely come to you for food, things that might be food, things that smell/look like food, or to beg you to go get him some food. It's a good party trick.

meggielou

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:51 pm

You're right, there are many of threads on introductions already. You can just use the search feature on the top right!

The cages at PetSmart are really expensive, and none of them are big enough, especially for 2 boars. I have sows, but I've read that 2 boars need a little more room to breathe sometimes.

I think someone mentioned www.guineapigcages.com
A nice, large cage will only cost about 25 dollars to build following the instructions on that site. People often think they need a store cage for security if they have a cat. However, you can actually make a study lid with shelving units on a C&C cage. I'm sure there are many threads on cat-proofing too! ;o)

Oh, and welcome to GL!

twofinepigs

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Pigs are not so interested in commands. Pigs are interested in food.

They will respond to rustling plastic sacks, the sound of the fridge door, the opening of the vegetable bin, or any other sound that they've learned indicates food.

They can and will learn a single word, if you're very consistent, that means FOOD. We use "chow" but others use "treats" or "foodies".

If it makes you feel better, you can use "Come here!" when rustling the plastic bag, and pretend they're being obedient. ;)

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:05 pm

Smart stuff on the housing...It did occur to me that the horizontal element was missing from a tiered house

I have no particular loyalty to PetSmart, so am happy to check out ..umm...Smart-er alternatives

The cubes and coroplast certainly seem more amenable.

When we first got him, I even looked at one of the small (perhaps coro)plastic bins designed for a landscaping "pond". It was maybe 4' across (oval shaped) and was about eight inches on the sides which appeared too tall for the baby cavy.

Doesn't appear we need to be "cat proof" after all. The fishtank has no cover (up on a dresser), but neither cat pays him any interest whatsoever.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:08 pm

I agree with all of the above. I have one little sow and she lives all by herself in a 2 X 31/2 C&C cage.

So true about the training. The only training that will go on in your house will be the pig (s) training you. If you are a good cavy slave, you'll learn easily! : )

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:11 pm

And yes, I've noticed that the only training Petey will receive is food-related noises.

Any kind of plastic rustling gets him going.

We're in a 1300sq ft townhouse flat and he stays in the back room office with me. Probably furthest distance down hall and around corner is the refrigerator and he gets rocking most any time he hears it shut.

Very acute hearing I can tell and rather poor eyesight, eh?

SteveHeath

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Holy Cow...

I'm on a short term Marital TimeOut on accounta my posting the picture with my wife...

If the moderators could be so kind as to Remove that Post, I may get to sleep safely tonight.

Kateo

Post   » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Just for the record, even if your cats appear to have no interest, I would still see about covering the cage and cat-proofing for when you aren't home.. There have been way too many tragic accidents involving another animal in the home where the poor piggies passed on. Your cats might think they're playing with dear Petey, but it could be fatal for him. (:

Also, welcome to Guinealynx, great to have you here.