Guinea Pig fell from huge height any advice or help

Jellyhead

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:45 pm

I have a male 3 year old Pig called Sid. Sid is a wiggly and lively little boy and recently jumped from my arms onto the tiled floor. I am feeling incredibly guilty and I know accident happen but I hurt my little boy and dont know what to do. I rushed him to the vets as soon as it happened. They Xrayed him and said there was no sign of any breakage or fracture and that he had reflexes in his back legs. He is eating fine, carrots, celery, spinach, broccoli and hay but wont eat his pellet food. He is drinking from a water bottle. I have him in a 2x1 cage built like the cavy cages and he is on towels that I change at least 3 times daily. I am also cleaning his belly. My question is really what could it be that he has done and do they recover from this type of injury? He is unable to move his back legs and just drags them around with him. Even though I have put food near his bed so he does not have to move he still likes to drag and move around. He has more movement in his left leg and will attempt to use it when moving but his right leg he drags behind him and when laid down he lays on it on a weird angle, his foot goes completly under him almost touching his other foot.

I apologise for such a long post this is my first post and I am just concerned for my boy and want to do the best I can for him.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:49 pm

Welcome to GL. I am so sorry SId had a fall. It is great he was rushed to a Vet right away.

I have no medical advice to share, but I am sure the experts will come in soon to help. I just wanted to let you know we do care about you and Sid. I hope he will be ok.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:57 pm

I'm so sorry about your piggy's injury. We took a guinea pig in once with an injury like that a couple months after the injury occurred. We were told that occasionally the nerves can regenerate so they regain use of their hind legs but that it can take months.

Since we weren't involved in the original diagnosis and treatment and since injuries can be so varied, I don't want to offer any medical advice either.

But I thought you'd like to hear that sometimes the nerves do regenerate.

Good luck with your piggy...

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Didn't I read somewhere that prednisone can help? Do you have the pig on any pain meds?

Jellyhead

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Yes he on Predisonone and Zantac and im also giving him Vit C supplements [sorry my spelling is very bad!]

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm so sorry about your guinea pig. I would restrict the area he has to try to encourage things to heal. Make sure food is close at hand. Glad you went to see a vet. I believe the prednisone is supposed to help prevent swelling. If you see signs of pain, you might look into a safe pain medication (unsure what can be used with prednisone).

I would weigh him daily, also, to make sure he's getting enough food.

www.guinealynx.info/.thml
www.guinealynx.info/.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:21 pm

Not sure what the Zantac is for.

An immediate vet visit and a steroid (pred) is the very best thing you can do, and you have done it. In my experience from reading this board, more animals recover their mobility than don't. Hopefully he will recover, especially since he is moving around as much as he is right now.

Be sure to keep his belly and rump clean and dry. If he can't move about as much as normally, he may get soiled and sore under there.

Work with him. Help him to move his right leg (gently) as he is moving around with his front and left rear. Think of a gentle physical-therapy type regime, warmth, gentle massage and supplementing his mobility. It may take a while, but don't give up; hang in there with him and he may recover to an almost-normal or normal extent.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:43 am

Zantac is an acid reducer that works through the histamine system. Probably given to protect the stomach from possible harmful effects of the prednisone?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:52 am

I hope Sid will recover without problems. He sounds like a sweet guy.

Ranitidine (Zantac):
https://www.guinealynx.info/motility.html#ranitidine

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:34 am

How is Sid doing today? We would love to see a picture if you have one. I hope he is feeling better.

magicmoo

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:25 am

When Giggles was a baby, she was out for floor time and dashed in front of my daughter as she walked and she got kicked. She was rushed to the vets, and x-rays conformed no broken bones. She too, walked strangely, and I felt very worried(and guilty-the vet told me off for letting her have floor time-she should have stayed in her pen according to him).

I decided that an extremely safe, risk-free life stuck in a cage was not much of a life and went against that. You are in the same position. You were holding your pig because you love him, and something unpredictable happened. Try not to feel guilty.

This was pre my registration at GL.

It took time, but she got back to normal

Bat

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:28 pm

My pig Scooter fell down the stairs in his travel carrier a few months back. Accidents happen to everyone no matter how careful you are.

I hope that your little guy recovers soon!