Question about yogurt?

Karin1

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:06 pm

If your pig is sick can you use plain yogurt? A vet told me to use that instead of benebac. I am confused as to what to use. My vet said that benebac can mess with the piggies stomach if given too much.

He said baytril- you dont need to use the benebac with it?

cavy_cool_crazy

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:13 pm

Your vet is wrong. Pigs are lactose-intolerant, yogurt isnt a option for piggies. Bene-bac should be just fine - give 2 hours after you give the antibiotic.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:19 pm

Ditto - no yogurt. Guinea pigs are herbivores and shouldn't have milk products.

Just buy acidophilous capsules from the drug store - check the ingredients. Open and sprinkle on food or in the Critical Care if you're handfeeding.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Read over www.guinealynx.info/.html

xPiggiesx

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:07 pm

My vet said the same thing, Baytril and yogurt for URIs, that's what I did, and all of my pigs are better. He said it depends on the pig.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:16 pm

My vet said the same thing too. I wasn't in the mood to argue with him and flat out said no thanks, I'll use the dairy free acidopholous and critical care (contains live cultures).

There is some thought that the lactose in yogurts and some cheeses is broken down by the bacteria making the product (which I don't believe), but seriously, why risk it when they're such an easily available alternative ya know.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:00 am

Yogurt is an old school method and works for humans. No dairy for piggies. Get probiotic powder.