For the love of Pete! Ozzy's med thread

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Oh, buddy. [expletive deleted] stones. I hate them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:34 pm

Those are indeed exceptionally clear xrays.

I only wish they were clear of stones! I understand not wanting to put him through multiple surgeries. I wish you both the best in the comming weeks.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:50 pm

Thank you all. I have some Metacam on hand left over from his surgery. I should call Dr. A and see what dose she would recommend. Or maybe it's on the dose calculator. I'll check that out.

I also have seen Dr. A give the sub q fluids and she gave me pretty good instructions. I will go read up on them in the files here too. One more thing I would rather not be prolific at, but a necessary evil of being a responsible pet owner!

GP Estates
Supporter in '08

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:56 pm

So sorry to hear of Ozzy's stone StF. Good thoughts to you and Ozzy.

This stone business is just so frustrating!

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:27 pm

Sending many hugs to you & Ozzy.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:38 pm

I am so sorry for missing the thread and about littl Ozzy.
That is a hunka stone, wishing you and Ozzy the best and many pain-free vibes.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:41 am

I hope Ozzy is having a comfortable night.

I'm sure you have read the wonderful subcue page in the Care Guide, and Josephine's Fluid Therapy reference thread. I also like these threads for hints and tips:

Subcue questions

Subcues for Dummies

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:07 am

Oh poor Ozzy! A pox on stones. I hope he stays comfy for a long time yet. He's such a beautiful boy.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 am

Once again, thank you tracis! I will be giving my first go at it tonight-after a stiff drink! I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, and my vet gave me regular needles. Now I'm wishing I had the butterfly ones. Can they be ordered at Valley Vet too? I will check later today. Gotta head out to work now.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:02 pm

Well, that did NOT go well!

After about 10 tries and several pokes that didn't make it all the way in, I got about 15 ml in him out of 20. He is a big time squirmer. And I'm a big time sissy.

I don't remember him bleeding when Dr. A did this yesterday. Why does he bleed so now? Poor baby.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:39 am

I have heard that it gets easier the more you do it.

I do not know if you can order butterfly needles from Valley Vet. From what others have posted, most people buy the supplies directly from their vet's office.

Mum once posted that she bought them online, here.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:03 am

I am a wimp. I am a wuss. I am admitting defeat. I believe sticking small animals is best left for the seasoned experts. Sigh.

I tried again last night with a butterfly needle and this was easier to get in him, although he barely has enough skin to grab and tent, but pushing the fluid was harder. He kept jumping and turning around to bite me. After 5 cc the needle came out (I was trying to hold it with a couple of fingers but he was too squirmy).