Another hooting pig - Llewelyn

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm sorry to read this. I hope you have many more days together. Given all his problems you've certainly done a great job to get him this far this long. Lucky little guy.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:10 pm

Our thoughts are with you and Llewelyn.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:29 pm

Llewelyn is such a special little guy. He sure does not want to leave you that is for sure. When I think of him and being sick I always go back to thinking of dear Spot. I still miss that little angel. Your babies are all so lucky to have you as their person.

Come on Llewelyn feel better please.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:41 pm

Llewelyn's saga continues:

I've been handfeeding him 80-100cc critical care for several weeks now, and in that time it became obvious that his molars had severely overgrown.

I made the decision to try and have this problem fixed, since he's still lively, wheeks for his critical care every 4 hours or so, and is clearly not ready to go.

I took him in this morning: in the past few weeks, he has developed a heart murmur, and his lungs are sounding 'rough.' Diagnosis: congestive heart failure. This is likely to be his primary diagnosis. His molars were extremely long, so I risked anesthesia to have them trimmed, since the discomfort was clearly going to get worse.

He barely survived the anesthesia, but the vet was able to trim the molars and incisors very quickly - at least enough to get the length down and give him perhaps a chance to be able to eat by himself.

He's remaining at the vet's on oxygen for another 4 or 5 hours, and then he'll come home with oxygen for the rest of the night.

I'm going to increase his lotensin dosage and add in lasix.

This little guy is such a fighter - I hope this gives him a little more high-quality time with his bff, Heddwyn :-)

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Sending good thoughts to Llewelyn and you, hope he has a speedy recovery!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:55 pm

I've looked through the oxygen threads, but I don't have the means today to get an aquarium set up the way others have done. If anybody has any ideas as to how I could accomplish a safe, temporary oxygen environment today I'd love to hear them!

I have large plastic bins (used for storing hay), carriers.

I don't even really know where to start!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm glad you posted as I've been wondering how Llewelyn was doing. I hope he continues to do well.

What is his Lotinsen dose going to be and I hope the Lasix helps at least a bit.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:44 pm

My guess is almost any bin with a top and flexible plastic you could cut, where he can be enclosed and you can pump in oxygen will work.

Wheekers3

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:09 pm

Thinking of you and Lew. The meds should help immensely.

A hay bin would work well. The lid may be a little leaky though. You may want to buffer it with a damp towel or blanket.

Topaz

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:35 pm

I hope Llewelyn has a comfortable and uneventful night.

Good thoughts being sent!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:45 pm

What is his Lotinsen dose going to b
Bugs Mom, he's been on 0.8mg twice daily - he weighs 1lb 11 ounces. I'm going to put him up to 1.0mg 2xday first and then see.

This pig was in the grey area on his xrays, but he was hooting badly one summer so the diagnosis was made. But I wasn't prepared to give him a high dose of lotensin without more of an indication. I guess I have that diagnosis now, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't try a higher dosage earlier.

He's supposed to be on oxygen for 24 hours, so the oxygen man is paying me a visit tonight with more supplies :-)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:32 pm

I can understand the uncertainy with the higher doses. Here's hoping he does well.