Another hooting pig - Llewelyn

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:33 pm

Sending good thoughts for adorable Llewelyn.

I wish I had been able to help you earlier.

Link to Paravati's nebulizer description; unfortunately, the photo is no longer available. She used a Pigloo.

Link to Truffles' nebulizer building page; this one is built from a plastic bin.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Thanks Tracis!

Actually I found a couple of threads, including the very detailed one in the reference forum.

But that one is more than I can manage tonight. In the meantime I have an old 20gallon aquarium I'll use tonight, since he has to be on oxygen for 24 hours.

He's not home yet, though - and I'm hoping he's ok since the vet is now closed.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:41 pm

I hope he is okay too. He's such a sweet guy.

I hope you are able to take a picture of your nebulizer when you get it set up - then I can add it to my "collection". :)

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:48 pm

I have a basket, wide and open with a handle, that is the travel basket and the oxygen basket. I use a giant clear garbage bag and just put the whole basket in the bag. I don't seal it up completely, I just fold the bag under the basket, and I position the oxygen tube close to the pig's face. This way I can monitor and put food in and it feels like home to them. I can also drape a towel over top and put a heating pad underneath for extra coziness and warmth.

You can over oxygenate them so leaving some freedom for air flow is a good idea. Also keep the oxygen on it's lowest setting.

Our basket is 24x 18" oval and shallow. Pigs jump in and out when it's on the floor.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:47 am

Thanks so much Pinta!

Llewelyn is now home and in his temporary oxygen setup for the next day or so.

He's pretty perky considering all that was done today.

Keep your fingers crossed he'll be ok tomorrow without the oxygen and will go back in with his buddy.

(I decided to keep them separated tonight, because there really isn't room for 2 pigs in a 20 gallon aquarium).

The oxygen people are absolutely wonderful. Worth the $$ just for the experience :-p

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:25 am

This morning Llewelyn is clearly very pissed off with me.

I can't imagine how people actually keep pigs in aquariums - it seems a particularly cruel environment, and this pig clearly disapproves. However, it works well with the oxygen, and with any luck it'll only be a few more hours. (Pinta's set up sounds much more comfy).

He's refused his critical care since his 2:30a.m feeding, so I've only been able to get about 5ccs into him each time. I'm hoping he'll find his appetite when he goes back in with his buddy.

It seems I miscalculated the amount of oxygen I'd need and I'm going to run out before I'm supposed to try weaning him off. The very friendly oxygen people of last night seem to be unreachable this morning - grrr!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:39 am

Yes, I'd be unhappy if I had to live in a closet too! ;-)

Good thoughts that all goes well today.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:25 pm

The torture chamber:

You can't see the top, but it's a standard aquarium glass top in 2 parts of glass 1 of plastic. I have it propped, so it's not at all sealed, and the water bottle is hung over an edge. The towel on top is damp.

Wheekers3

Post   » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Does the set-up have a bubbler? - A thing that moistens the oxygen? I don't know the proper name for it. Oxygen alone can be very drying.

Also the Lasix can deplete the body of pottasium. Potassium is necessary for good heart function. Can he have a bit of kiwi or banana? Both of those fruits are very high in potassium.

I am sorrry if you already know this. I just want to make sure it is covered.

Poor little guy does look a little miffed.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:01 pm

No bubbler. I discussed this with the vet, and she said it wasn't necessary - perhaps because he's only getting 1 liter/hour? But I did put a wet cloth on top.

Yup, pretty familiar with lasix :-)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Nice setup!

Llewelyn obviously dreams of an early parole. :)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:26 pm

I think the lack of bubbler necessity has been explained: pigs, unlike humans, pee anywhere. So after about 15 hours there was a nice humid fug built up in the aquarium - even taking him out every two hours for breaks and feeding. Combined with the damp towel on top, it was pretty steamy in there.

He's on a little break now, but I have to go out for a couple of hours at veggie time, so I'll put him back with his own veggies and see if he eats them. He's certainly not keen on his critical care today. He looked so depressed, though, that I wanted to put him back in his own cage with his friend for awhile.