Guinea Pig fell from huge height any advice or help

Jellyhead

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Sids no change today his brother is getting some what jealous of the attention sids getting, trying to keep it as fair as possible. We are off to the vets tomorow night for a week check up, fingers crossed we get some good news. Thank you all for your kind messages and advice. I cant help but feel so guilty, even though everyone does keep telling me accidents happen

klynne

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:20 pm

I understand feeling guilty, but it is what it is. It happened and you can't go back and I know the rational side of you knows it was an *accident.* That's why they call 'em that.

As for the check-up, I'd ask the vet for some physical therapy exercises, as Talishan already suggested.

If he's not overly stressed and freaked about water, swimming therapy, *with you right there helping the entire time* can sometimes be helpful.

Pinta is a user here who did a RoxyRoller thing for a disabled pig. Search this forum on her name and that phrase if you're interested--some animals live good quality lives with carts--this would be the gp version.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:25 pm

The Roxy Roller thread.

Timmay's story is also inspirational.

Sending good thoughts for his next vet appointment!

Jellyhead

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Thought would just share with you how sid is today. The vet is very pleased with his progress and estimates 3 months and should make a 90 - 100% recovery if he continues as he is doing. Today he has started to push up on his back legs to move places instead of just using his front legs to drag him everywhere. He is now eating his food pellets and wont stop eating hay. He is drinking from his water bottle too. His personality has returned and he is getting excited again by the food noise but as yet has not regained his noisey self and makes no noise, but im keeping my fingers crossed.

I asked the vet about the roxy roller and the vet thinks its probably too early for him to be put in this and that rest would be better for him. But says in a few weeks we will start doing some physio exercises with him and then it would be beneficial to him.

So fingers crossed but so far looks like things are going to be ok. Will keep you all informed and thank you so much for the kind words!

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:34 pm

What good news and how great you're doing all this for him. : )

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:24 pm

What great news. Keep us posted. We love hearing about improvment. Chow down, Sid!

Cat_67

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:06 pm

I cross my fingers too for Sid! Don't feel bad. It was an accident and you are doing what you can for him.

I slid on a small blanket on a slippery floor once with piggie Poldi, and not wanting to squash her during my fall, I fell sideways on the floor, but dropped her by accident. She went flying and actually hit the wall face first, whereas I couldn't get up from the floor. I was taken to hospital for an x-ray of my hips and spent the evening there, som It wasn't before the next day we found out that Poldi had broken both her upper front teeth! How she managed not to break anything more is beyond me. She was a tough piggie!

Elvis fell from my son's arms once, even though he is so very careful. It wasn't a high fall, but he injured his back. The vet didn't find any injuries, but it took about a week before he could walk properly. He dragged his feet for a couple of days. We restricted his movement and let him have peace from his girls until he was absolutely fine.

Ditto on the cleaning. Sounds like you're doing a great job!

Good luck!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:54 pm

Yay for Sid! Wonderful news. :)

Topaz

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:54 pm

Good news!

BGPigs

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:25 pm

Jellyhead:

When I click on your link, it doesn't let me see the pic.

critterluv02

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:45 pm

No photos when I click either.

Just wanted to let you know that the very first guinea pigs I had, I took in from a family who had small kids. One of the kids had fallen on top of one of the pigs and injured his back. They didn't bother taking him to the vet, but left him to heal on his own. He did fully recover and by the time I got him, you would never have known that he was ever paralyzed.

I hope the same for Sid.