Essential oils and fungal infection

rshevin

Post   » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:37 pm

I'm not familiar with oral fungal creams. Is this something maybe for a baby with thrush? Be sure to post the active ingredient before you use it (and save the receipt in case).

Being in Australia will definitely change the available medications. The Monistat I mentioned is for women with yeast infections. Do you have a comparable over the counter medication there?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:31 am

oral fungal creams
Program is taken orally.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:48 am

Very true, but can you get it from a chemist (drug store)? Not in the US. I don't have a clue about overseas. Maybe we are having an English to English translation issue!

1921kathryn

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:06 am

Here's the pictures of poor little Wanita taken today after the essential oil treatment and after washing her with nizoral 1%.

The oil treatment has gotten rid of most of the thick crusty dandruff on her chest area. As you can see the worst of it by far is on her face under her hair, on the jaw line and close to the eye area

By the way her hair in not greasy as it appears in the pics it's just the residue of the oil

I have re thought my course of action

1. Purchase monistat cream or similar product in Australia for face

2. Another course of ivermectin

3 Shampoo with Nizoral once a week

4 Could it be ringworm? Treat her for ringworm

What do you guys think?

rshevin

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:13 am

I like your course of action to actively pursue fungal and mites. Ringworm is actually a kind of fungus so your monistat/nizoral may help. The problem is that ringworm is sneaky and persistent so good hygiene is essential. Actually, as advanced as this is, you'd likely have ringworm yourself if she had it (assume you handle her regularly). If it's fungal, the monistat will work fast (miconazole nitrate is the active ingredient).

The differences between your regimen and what I believe is standard for ringworm in the US is oral Program (a flea/ringworm medicine for dogs and cats) and lyme sulfur dip. Not sure if you have either available, but it'd be good to know. Lyme sulfer is supposed to be really nasty and smell like rotten eggs, but work well.

Would vitamin E oil or coconut oil be soothing for the pig's skin as she heals? It looks so raw and uncomfortable. I've never figured out essential oils. Maybe some would be soothing, but at this point it seems you need some pretty aggressive therapy.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:49 am

Wanita has lovely colors. :)

This is a link to another GL member's girl, who had something that reminds me of your Wanita's problem. It may also give you some ideas.

Stella's Medical Thread

Page 3 has photos of Stella's hairloss on her head, and Page 4 gives a recap of the treatment that SStroh used.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:01 am

Ah, poor girl!

I'd treat her aggressively and cover all bases just in case:

Since you're in Australia, you can easily order Revolution from www.petshed.com You don't need a prescription for it, and it sometimes works better on stubborn mites cases. While it's generally a monthly treatment, I'd be inclined to use it every 14 days.

Treat for possible ringworm with oral cat Program. I think you need a prescription for this.

In between times use Monistat cream on the possibly fungal areas you can see.

I'd also be tempted to do a lyme dip on this girl which can work pretty quickly on some types of mange.

I use Malaseb shampoo on questionable skin issues, but Nizoral may be fine.

I do hope you can get this cleared up - she has to be miserable.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:09 pm

Read also about Michigan-Joe's pig. https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37334 This pig had a really bad skin problem that healed up.

p.s. can I add your two pics to the board also?

klynne

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:25 pm

Wow. That's bad.

I'd consider that to be possibly life-threatening. I'm glad you're willing to go all out to get this cleared up.

Personally, if you have a savvy vet, I'd go ahead and get him/her involved in the case as it looks serious.

I prefer Malaseb shampoo over Nizoral for severe cases--it has more active ingredients.

That said, I would definitely second the advice on getting Revolution from Petshed. You want the kitten dose.

Have you seen any seizure activity yet, from the itching and pain?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Oh, poor love! She must feel bad. Good luck the treatment; sometimes it takes a while for skin issues to get resolved, and sometimes there are a few things going on at the same time. I think the Lym Dyp is a good idea too.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:42 pm

Thistle Cavies have had great success with treating this kind of fungal problem. They've seen this thread and contacted me, any probs with getting them involved?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:20 pm

What is their protocol, webs?