Is there such a thing as a "good" pet store?

rshevin

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:39 pm

Honestly, I have to say no, no good pet stores. If there's some way to know if ALL the animals in there are rescues, then it's an adoption center like what richardsm runs, but that is rare.

Alibabble

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:40 pm

No good pet store sells animals. Period. I know some great supply only stores, although I'm still working on getting the to sell Oxbow. There was a pet store associated with one of the vet clinics in my last city, and they had animals available for adoption . These were all owner surrenders, usually pregnant females.

richardsdm
All for the Hogs

Post   » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:35 am

At AniMall we stopped using one of our supply distributors because we realized that they also "supplied" pets to pet stores. It was scary to realize that I could have ordered 10-20 guinea pigs and they would have arrived with the same shipment as the dog/cat food I ordered. And judging by how poorly stuff is packaged from distributors I would hate to see how many of the pigs would have actually survived and what condition they would have been in.

rpaws

Post   » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:35 am

I would have to say there are no good pet stores, but there are good pet SUPPLIES stores. For me the difference is pet stores SELL animals while the pet supplies stores only sell pet supplies.

Luckily I have 2 pet (supplies) stores near me.

Goose

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:16 pm

I have to comment on this one since I'm involved in a rescue in a Petsmart store. The reason why I'm on this bored is because someone dumped a guinea pig in a duffle bag in the store. Naturally they call the rescue that's in the adoption center in the store when that happens.

I don't believe in selling animals in a petstore under any circumstances. However, there's a difference in Petsmart and Petsmart Charities. Petsmart Charities has been very kind in donating litter, supplies, food, a physical location, etc. to our rescue (who adopts out of two of their stores). Without having this as a support there are thousands of cats who would not have found homes or who would have been euthanized. I speak of just the rescue I work with--Petsmart Charities helps across the country.

Now for the other part.... I still don't believe in selling animals, so I don't buy them. I also buy the bulk of my animal supplies from a local independent store that doesn't sell animals. The only time I vary this is for certain things like Carefresh, water bottles, and pigloos because this local store just does not ever carry this kind of stuff. They do sell Oxbow for rats and pigs and I'm beginning to think I'm their biggest buyer of the brand.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:30 pm

Petsmart charities operates because of Petsmart. It makes them look good. Meanwhile they are still peddling their pet milled animals and the cycle of abuse, neglect and abandonment: http://www.guineapighome.com/Pet_Trade/p2_articleid/3

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:34 pm

No good pet stores. Even most of the supplies-only ones sell cheap, crappy products and aren't recommendable.

Jennicat

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:34 pm

It was always baffling to my why Petsmart Charities donated so much money to dog and cat rescue when they didn't actually sell dogs and cats. Realistically, all those millions of dollars a year would go to small animal rescues so that they could operate adequately to house the thousands of animals abandoned from Petsmart each year. The same goes for Petco.

Goose

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:41 pm

I've always wondered why Petsmart Charities doesn't just end Petsmart's sale of small animals myself... They don't even seem to train their associates to sex the rodents properly. Just fixing that problem would save so many animals' lives.

Many years ago I bought two hamsters from Petsmart and learned the hard way that they're generally not knowledgeable. A few weeks later I found a litter of babies in the cage with my two "males". GRRRR!

Back then I didn't even know you could adopt anything other than cats and dogs from the SPCA. Now I'd never support the sale of critters.

richardsdm
All for the Hogs

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:55 am

I have to remind many of the dog/cat rescues in this area, as soon as it proves profitable for them to sell dogs/cats in the store they will do so. Petco proved that when they started selling rabbits again.

I have tried to tell dog/cat rescues that by holding their events at the Petsmart/Petco they are giving their support to the sale of animals. I have never heard a proper response to "Would you hold your events at a pet store that sold dogs or cats? Why are small animals different?" I always hear the excuse that Petsmart Charities gives them money or Petco allows them to do holiday pet photos that they make money at. Funny, I hear Lucifer has a similar deal.

Lola

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Hello, everyone
But to be honest with you I don't really see it as bas as everyone makes it seem. If you think that all the small animals at these stores are sick, then you are agreeing that they might need your help more than the ones that are healthy. I am a new piggy mom and I am also looking for a friend for my girl and I've been looking around for adoption and a lot of the shelters are actually selling these animals because the cost of adoption is higher than the cost of buying them at your local petstore and why wouldn't you buy the supplies at a petstore, from whoever you get them they won't be free and you will still have to pay some type of money. I see these stores just as every other business that is making money, and also as the sites that sale items for piggies they are trying to make money its normal. I actually buy all my supplies from a Petco and they have piggies for adoption, at no cost, and bought my girl at that same store and she is a healthy piggy. =)

Topaz

Post   » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:36 pm

" =) "

=(

Nope, you're not seeing the big picture.