Essential oils and fungal infection

1921kathryn

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Thanks again everyone I'm on Wanita's case.

She is good spirits runs up and sits on my feet when I open the fridge door, she likes to growl sometimes at the birds & possum noises (she lives inside). You show them Wanita!

Also growls sometimes when I pat her and play music she doesn't like

Such an attitude for a little piggy but underneath she is a sweetie, I'm looking forward to seeing her popcorn again

K:)

1921kathryn

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks for your concern, she's appears to be in no obvious pain, doesn't itch or scratch or cry out in any way, eats and drinks like a horse! Has a set of lungs like Pavarotti!

1921kathryn

Post   » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:57 pm

Lynx - I think you asked me if you could add the 2 pics of Wanita to the board this is fine with me

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks for the pics. I cropped them and switched them out with the ones you posted.

Please do keep us updated on progress and add what you feel worked best. I forget, is this pig getting any pain medication? It may help while healing (a pig in pain often does not eat enough).

www.guinealynx.info/.html

1921kathryn

Post   » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:05 pm

Her appetite is amazing, how can such a little pig eat so much!

Will keep you posted

rshevin

Post   » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:07 pm

Were you able to find the antifungal cream? Please don't be fooled by her appetite. While good eating is a good sign, you definitely need to continue treating this very aggressively.

1921kathryn

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:43 am

What a day!

Lucky I'm on holidays!

I disinfected my dining room kitchen and sunroom floors with hospital grade bleach this was necessary because Wanita is a free range pig and she roams these 3 rooms frequently

I threw out her old hutch as this was given to me by a friend/guinea pig owner (who's had a few guineas) it may have been contaminated it contained wood. [/b]Fungal spores are very difficult to remove from wood

Disinfected and washed her bedding

To soften skin, loosen crusting and prepare her skin for the next step, I gave her a full body OLIVE OIL body massage for an hour, she was a good girl and I think it brought relief (It didn't cost her a thing). I had to massage it very well around her face and eye area this was most difficult (but the little cutie even closed her eyes to make it easier for me) Alot of hair came out in this process it was very messy.

She is very pink skinned and looks more like a drowned rat now. All the above was necessary to prepare her for shampooing and removal of hair that I will have to pluck out and then fungal cream. I am dreading this!

I will do this tomorrow and give you more detail

Reshvin - I did buy a fungal cream - Clonea anitfungal skin cream Clotimazole cream 10mg/g with benzyl alcohol as a preservative. I've been told by someone with alot of experience this will be ok, hopefully it will do

I've was so upset this morning but I won't go into details. I am sitting down with a glass of wine, the last 4 days have been all about her. In a funny way I think we've bonded, who would have thought?

pigsforlife3

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:21 am

Where abouts in Australia are you located? I am from Western Australia. That looks nasty. I have Maleseb, it is easily available. I purchased it from the local vet down the road. If you do take Klynnes advice and swap to Maleseb, but cant find it let me know and I can send some to you?

1921kathryn

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:28 am

Pigs for life - thanks for your suggestion and kind offer, I live in Melbourne.

I have seen Maleseb (I think it was in a blue bottle) in the local pet shop but hesitated to buy as it said something like strictly for dogs and cats not to be used on rabbits.

I thought maybe there was another (weaker) Maleseb shampoo available in the US that people on this thread have been talking about.

I didn't purchase just to be on the safe side, does your Maleseb shampoo say anything regarding usage on small animals? I know sometimes this can be disregarded

I have an excellent proven regime planned for her, but if you reckon the Maleseb shampoo in Australia is ok then maybe I can go get some

What does anyone think?

Nizoral or Maleseb is it much of a muchness??

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:15 am

They are two different antifungals. It's possible one would work better than the other. I think Maleseb would be worth giving a try.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:23 am

All the above was necessary to prepare her for shampooing and removal of hair that I will have to pluck out
Why do you have to pluck out her hair? I can't see that this would be necessary - and it would certainly be painful.

I use Malaseb shampoo here and find it very effective. You have to be sure to leave it on the full 10 mins (wrap the pig in a towel) for it to work properly. But mine doesn't come in a blue bottle: my ingredients read 'miconazole nitrate 2% chlorhexadine gluconate 2%. If your is stronger you could dilute it down to it's as ours perhaps.

Clortrimazole can also be effective.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:07 pm

I believe when it's a serious fungal infection, the hair that's been affected by the fungus has to come out as it's damaged anyway and could also reinfect the pig. The idea is to get rid of all possible points of contact that may be harbouring the spores.

The oil kills the fungus, stops it from spreading and keeps the skin from drying out further. Using vegetable based oil is kinder to the skin than essential oils but does the same job and far less harm if licked at. It softens the skin and loosens any dry crusting and the hair comes out easier when the oil has been applied. A really bad case will be treated with pain meds too.

Once the skin is prepared and cleaned, then the fungal creams can be applied, be it clotimazole or miconazole based.

I'll update to correct this if it's not 100%!