Rapini?

HazelNut

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:46 am

Hi all!! I did a search here on Rapini and all I can find is that others' pigs didn't want it. I'd gotten some last night and at the same time as I was taking it out of the bag my S/O walked into the kitchen and had Harry with him. Harry's nose went right up in the air and it was like he was trying to swim for me. LOL He LOVED the leaves, but didn't touch the buds/florets/whatever. Is it safe to assume its safe to give him?

Suisan

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:59 am

Broccoli rabe (or rapini) is basically a turnip green. I don' t think there'd be a problem with it.

This is a good source for info too.

HazelNut

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:02 am

Thank you!! I'm trying to give him more variety. And it'll be easier to "go through" more soon since I'm going to drive 2.5 hours down to the closest piggy rescue this Saturday! I'm so excited!!

Suisan

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:22 am

Did you read the link?

Just wanted to caution you that turnip greens shouldn't really be given every day. A couple of times a week I think is OK. Check the link, I can't remember if it's high in oxalates or what the issue is.

But variety is great, no doubt.

My pigs go ga-ga over kale and chard. Serious fanatics.

HazelNut

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:31 am

Oh yeah I read it! It said a couple times a week was fine. And it being more on the pricey side compared to other things its not something I'd get regularly anyway. He loved kale, green leaf lettuce, and I regularly get celery, cilantro, and parsley. I'll be picking up more on the kale and leaf lettuce, and we just planted a garden to grow things for him. I just hope our crappy soil will help it grow well enough.