For the love of Pete! Ozzy's med thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:38 pm

I don't think it does. Maybe some funky bacteria in his gut?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:50 pm

This poor guy. I have some BeneBac. I will try giving him some of that to see if it helps.

He hates to see me coming anymore. I feel terrible that he equates me with torture.

I let him roam around on the couch last night after his meds and brought out Marleau too. Just to see if it would perk him up. It did! He got his "brr-waggle" going! They were closely supervised and Ozzy loved having a girly to snuggle up to. Mr. Piggy never lets him do that!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Ozzy has the rock star magic. ;)

I hope the BeneBac helps him. Has he started taking Actigall?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:56 pm

STF, I know you hate to be equated with the "torturer", but you are just trying to care for your precious boy.
I am sure after this is all passed, he too will appreciate this...
Okay fine, *maybe* he will appreciate this!

I mean look at McMac, he hated the twice dailly flushing while he had the abscess on his penis, but hey, look at him now, no grudge! :p

Once Ozzy feels better, I am sure tons of hugs and yummies will bribe him back to his old self. :)
*hugs*

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:01 pm

We are in day 3 of his Actigall tracis. Maybe that's got him messed up? We'll see how this does.

And Momo, I want so badly to believe Ozzy will recover from this and will feel better one day. But the truth of the matter is I am only trying to make his last days as comfortable as I can. He will tell me when he's ready for me to stop and just leave him be. Then I will make the dreaded journey to the vet's office. But as long as he's still chattering those teeth and munching on his hay I will continue the syringing of ump-teen types of meds and foods!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Yes we will, as long as he is fighting, we will be here cheering him (and YOU) on!
I was told not to worry about McMac's daily metacam doses and the possible renal failure that long-term dosing might bring on, somehow in Naka's mind, he isn't really convinced there is a long term for him.
But our old man has surprised him time after time...

I guess this is the painful part of having them in our lives, to watch them slip right past our fingers...

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Do you still give McMac daily metacam? I am having a hard time gently convincing my vet to give Oz more than .05 daily! I started giving him .15 twice a day with some leftover stuff and he was fine. When I went to ask for a refill, she gave me .05 daily. And it won't last long if I give him more than what she dosed.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:22 pm

I still do.
We started at 0.15cc twice daily back in early January after a set of X-rays showing signs of arthritis in his back legs. Then as the weather warmed up and he recovered completely from his abscess, we cut it down to 0.10cc.

When we went back for his follow up, I was told to keep him on a "maintenance dose" of 0.10cc once a day unless I see him in obvious pain.

So now we range from 0.10 - 0.15 a day, depending very much on how he looks and feels.

*STF, we did got through 2 weeks of obvious dryer poops when he first started on metacam, but Dr. Naka told us to keep watch and it should pass on its own as he get used to it. And he did. :)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:30 pm

Sending good thoughts for Ozzy!

From what Pinta has stated, Actigall doesn't have side effects.

guinea pig with stones and serious side effects! (Shaun) (linked to Pinta's comments)

Rupert (was prescribed Actigall for gall bladder)

Chester's thread, which was linked before, seems to have the most information about Actigall.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:31 am

It may be more the Baytril he's been on for so long giving him the soft blobby poops. I remember that when he was recovering from surgery in December he would steal Mr. Piggy's poops. I should probably begin a poop soup for him using Mr. Piggy's.

Does anyone have a "recipe" or do I just dissolve one or two poops with water?

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:53 am

I am also wondering if anyone can let me know how soon they noticed an improvement with Actigall? I do not see any difference. His pee is still bright red and he is still hunched over most of the time. Sleeps a lot.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:34 am

Yes, crush and dissolve one, then syringe it. Might help (can't hurt). Special poops work best.

Review diet too. Ditto on Baytril possibly being the cause (depends on strength).

www.guinealynx.info/.html