Essential oils and fungal infection

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:30 pm

To clarify from Thistle Cavies, the fungal infection actually goes right into the hairfollicle and that is where it 'grows' from. The reason it can sometimes take so long to clear is that some people do not pluck and the fungus sits safe in the follicle reinfecting the skin.

The Olive oil is also rich in Vitamin E, not only soothing the skin but also 'clogs' the fungus and stops the spores becoming airbourne. Pain relief is always given before plucking - at least 30 mins before - to give it time to work. A basin with a little cool water in it works wonders at keeping the skin cool too, you just splash it over every now and then.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:15 pm

Masaleb is fine to use. It is stronger than Nizoral.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:32 am

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I forgot I had posted here! I use Maleseb by Dermcare. Hopefully some of the following information I have copied off the bottle will help you:

Active Constituents:
20 g/L Chlorhexidine gluconate
20 g/L Miconazole nitrate
Topical Keratolytic, antibacterial, antifungal and antipuritic shampoo for dogs and cats

Then it goes on to talk about what it treats inlcuding ringworm. And directions on the back including this paragraph:

Dermcare Malaseb Medicated Shampoo is formulated to remove scale, degrease the skin and kill cutaneous micro-organisms which primarily or secondarily cause dermatitis.

So whilst it does say it is for dogs and cats it says nothing about it being harmful to rabbits or any other animal.

I have used it before with Toffee and used a very small amount and followed the instructions on the back of the bottle. It appears now, that Toffee needs one of the GG products which will hopefully help with the thinning of hair on the back of her neck!

rshevin

Post   » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:01 am

That's the right stuff. It's rare you'll find any product with packaging specifically saying it's ok for guinea pigs. Almost every treatment we use is "off label" for cavies because the pharma companies don't have any incentive to get the medications approved for such a tiny resale market. We have to rely on good judgment, ingredient research, and anecdotal experience to decide what to use and what not to use.

1921kathryn

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:30 am

Hello everyone,

Went to the vet on Friday and she thinks it's very highly unlikely that it's a fungal condition.

She did another 3 skin scrapings and guess what.......?? That's right my piggy loving friends NOTHING! Parasitic infection did not show up under that shiny microscope

NO MORE SKIN SCRAPINGS A WASTE OF TIME AND THEY HURT PIGGIES sorry to shout

She gave me revolution but I will wait 7 days after invermectin treatment is finished

Not a good idea to cross the 2 treatments

I am dosing her with Ivermectin every 7 days (a few months ago I treated her every 10 days)

The good new is I think I'm seeing an improvement she is now mostly bald on the chest, neck and jaw area very pink skinned ready for new hair growth.

The dandruff/crusting looks alot less severe (although I did remove alot of it in the oil massage) her behavior is certainly alot more perky than a week ago

I can't quite remember but I think I was advised by the vet not to wash Wanita whilst using revolution

What do we think?

The vet also suggest Lyme sulphur dip but suggested I come into the practice 3 or 4 times so she can do it (imagine the vet bills). Understandably she thinks that sometimes the emotional attachment means that the job wont be done properly. I'm sure I'll be able to do a good job. I love Wanita but if i have to put her through a bit of stress to cure her than it'll be worth it

That's the next step if the ivermectin or revolution doesn't work

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:12 am

I think you can do the lym dyp yourself - just don't wear anything that is really special! It's sulphur yellow! I'm glad your girl is starting to heal; something must be working.

I think you can bathe a day or two after topical applications of Revolution: it sinks into the skin. Alternately, you can bathe right before you put it on.

Piggster

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:08 am

My Gavin had some hair loss about an inch or so in diameter near his butt that looked like that and we thought was fungal in nature. I bathed him with Nizoril and applied monistat and would get it almost cleared up, and it would come back. Dr N had recommended this based upon a phone consultation.

The third time it came back it was worse and the treatments weren't working so this time so I brought him in. Dr N did a skin scraping, most of which revealed nothing - except one tiny spot that surprisingly revealed mites. If he hadn't looked a second time he said he would have missed it. Dr N also suspected a secondary bacterial infection going on too and prescribed Tresaderm. It worked like magic - Gavins butt was healed up and regrowing hair in a week and a half. All that and after only one Ivermectin treatment too.

Definately ask about the Tresaderm (hope I'm spelling it right) because that looks exactly like what Gavin had - but not nearly as severe.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:21 am

You can order lym dip and do it yourself.

Wear rubber gloves - that stuff stinks!

I'd do a dip or a bath and then treat the next day with Revolution.

Definitely wait a week between Ivermectin and Revolution treatments.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:29 am

How wonderful that Wanita is looking better!

Whenever someone mentions Lym Dip, it always makes me think of Sugar's picture.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:34 am

I should clarify that the couple of times I used that stinky Lym Dip, I did *not* leave the pig to air dry - I used a blowdryer (best done outside also!).

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:37 am

This is good to know, Mum! :)

1921kathryn

Post   » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:09 am

Hello everyone,

Wanita continues to be even more perky since the ivermectin (3rd dose this Thursday) and her 2nd wash with Nizoral. She's very energetic and even popcorns. I will post a pic shortly

However I've also noticed a couple of deepish scratches on her neck (after noticing this I also cut her toe nails). This is a bit worrying!

Question 1

Can anyone recommend an over the counter antiseptic cream (in Australia) as I'd hate for these scratches to become infected

Question 2

How many more dosages of ivermectin do we recommend (2 dosages so far)?

Last time (3 months ago) I gave her 3 dosages at 10 days apart, now dosages are 7 days apart and it seems to be more effective.

I would like to complete the invermectin treatment first and see how that goes before starting the revolution

I'm yet to apply the fungal cream and will order the lym sulfur dip shortly.

Question 3

The fungal cream is called Clonea and contains Clotrimazole cream 10 mg/g with benzyl alcohol as preservative. I've been told this is ok by someone with experience, however the vet is totally against it.

Can anyone confirm that the above ingredients will be safe to use? as I am hesitant to apply it without some more opinions or should I just go for the lym dip instead

Thanking you in advance K