Pelletless pellet??

poppypiggy

Post   » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:11 am

Sef - that is very interesting. Can you show me the link?

slavetofuzzy - I have contacted Oxbow about this before, but they didn't bother to answer. But I guess if they got many letters they would perhaps listen?

kleenmama - I am very glad you don't put more than a tiny amount of salt in your pellets! I whish there was a way to get them to Europe...

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:13 pm

I'm also glad you don't use a lot of salt. Lady Bug gets quite enough in her normal food sources.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:13 pm

There is no one link; I found dozens of references to reducing salt intake if you're prone to kidney stones. Just Google "sodium AND kidney stones." You should find quite a few sites.

Raeraeverret

Post   » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:08 pm

I would absolutely love this!! My boys are so picky that they actually dig all of the pellets out of their food! So I end up wasting a good bit of the bag. I'm sure no matter how expensive it would be, I'd save money in the long run. :-)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:07 pm

What kind of pellet are you using, Raeraeverret?

poppypiggy

Post   » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:05 pm

Thank you for the search tip, Sef. I'll read up on this.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:33 pm

This is just one typical example, from a men's health website citing possible causes of calcium-based stones (emphasis mine):
Excessive sodium. Calcium absorption in the kidney tubules follows the absorption of sodium and water. High urinary levels of sodium then results in increased levels of calcium. Defects in the kidney tubules transport system can cause imbalances in sodium and phosphate that result in elevated calcium in the urine. A high salt diet can also produce this effect.

poppypiggy

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Thank you for that link, Sef. I also did a search on sodium AND bladder stone, and found a lot of links. It seems that it sometimes is possible to dissolve stones in dogs with diet and antibiotics http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... tid=545988, but I have no idea if this could be used in pigs. And if so, what diet would be appropriate?

I must admit, though, that I find this field very complicated, and my head is near to spin when I try to get the essence out of all these articles. Some of them even seem to partly contradict each other! Time to get to bed soon, I guess, but I will read more tomorrow.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:41 pm

poppypiggy, that article is referring to struvite stones; most guinea pig stones are calcium carbonate and, sadly, aren't dissovable (at least, not that anybody is aware of).

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:24 pm

most guinea pig stones are calcium carbonate and, sadly, aren't dissovable
Unless Actigall actually does work - which is at least a possibility.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:50 am

Ozzy's stone got bigger during our Actigall trial. Maybe if you catch the stones early and small it may work.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:21 am

I thought Actigall affected sphincters and smooth to promote passing stones and it was Polycitra that may aid in dissolution??