Watermelon ?

3Smithboys

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:04 pm

I gave the pigs some watermelon as a treat tonight. I picked out all of the seeds before I gave it to them because I wasn't sure if the seeds were ok - are they?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:17 pm

I pick out the seeds too, just in case.

Fourboys4now

Post   » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Instead of picking out the seeds. I cut them about a half inch to an inch of watermelon with the rind. Usually there are no seed in that part closest to the rind and they love the rind. Plus my husband eats the rest of the watermelon. He laughs and asks if I bought the watermelon for him or for the pigs. I'll never tell!

papiggieluverz

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:13 am

I've never tried watermelon, I'm gonna have to see if our pigs like it.

DaCourt

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:58 am

I got watermellon for Scooby one year for his birthday. He got so excited he rann all over the cage. By the time he came back...Scooter had eaten it all.

Topaz

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:18 am

Mine LOVE watermelon. They like the rind the best, so I cut one inch chunks for them, only leaving a smidgen of the watermelon on there.

Just make sure to wash the outside thoroughly. They can be pretty dirty and germy.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:33 am

If you're trying watermelon for the first time, just give them a little bit. Watermelon gives my Chip diarrhea. I suppose it's possible I didn't wash the outside well enough but I don't want to risk giving it to her again. She did like the watermelon though.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:16 am

Mine LOVE it mostly the rind. Make sure you wash tehouter portion well to get off any residues before you give it to them.

3Smithboys

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:29 pm

Thanks everyone. That's good to know. I already threw away the rind, but I know for next time. My kids love watermelon too!

everly_dawn

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:46 pm

Hee, this is funny. I came here today for the sole purpose of looking for information about giving my pigs watermellon. I wanted to make sure it was okay to give them the rind. And here I find all sorts of people talking about it! This will be my boys first time with it...can't wait to see if they like it.

lisam

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:57 pm

Mine like the rind much better than the fruit. Watermelon seeds most likely won't harm the pig, because they are so soft. I always get the seedless organic watermelons.

In the hot summer weather you can freeze melons for a cool treat for the pigs.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:53 pm

I've always just fed the rind so I don't have to worry about seeds. They love it. Unfortunately, I don't like watermelon at all so I have to rely on someone else to save me their rinds.