Now I am a bit worried...

Stomphoof

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:06 am

Normally when I get up I find either Nomo or Moose waiting for me at the top of the ramp. I go into the kitchen, they get really excited and they bounce and popcorn around while I get thier veggies..

This morning however they were both huddled under the ramp in the little covered area I made for them. I got thier veggies and they kinda popcorned..

But after I put the veggies in they ate a bit and then BOLTED under the ramp.

Not even carrots would get em to come out.

I let em sit there and they eventually came out and started eating veggies. But when I went back over they ran as fast as they could back under the ramp.

Its like its back when I first got them all over again 0_0

BGPigs

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:12 am

I have one pig who behaves like this too. He just recently started letting me ,occasionally, pet him inside the cage. Then yesterday, I couldn't get anywhere close to him. Even when I put their veggies in, he ran and hid from me. I don't know what got into him.

Topaz

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:12 am

Something may have spooked them during the night.

Any loud sounds? Thunder and lightening? Anything like that?

I've heard others on here describe the same behavior and were never able to figure it out. Maybe they've got some suggestions for you? I would keep a close eye on both of them. You never know what odd behavior could mean.

I hope they're just spooked and realize nothing is wrong and relax soon.

Another thought, maybe they got into a little scuffle and are still shook up about it? Have you thoroughly checked both over for injuries?

Stomphoof

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:19 am

Thanks for the tip about injuries. I just hope they are spooked.

Stomphoof

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:29 am

Well, no injuries, and now they are out and being normal after I picked each up and checked em...

Maybe they were just spooked. I will keep an eye on em (more so then I usually do)

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:15 am

Are you near where the earthquake was? Animals are more sensitive to these natural disasters.

Stomphoof

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:18 am

I live in Florida. I wasnt even aware there was a quake.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:19 am

Oh, it was in Illinois. I was not sure where you lived. Maybe they heard a strange noise during the night?

EllieMom

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:34 am

Somebody else here had the same thing happen and someone suggested that maybe they saw another rodent (the wild kind) or a big spider/bug type creature. I know that would scare me.

Lovemypig

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:35 am

Stomphoof, perhaps one of those ginormous flying roaches or man-eating grasshoppers you have down there scared them during the night. They scare me when I'm down there visiting my brother, yikes.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:48 am

It must be such a relief that Nomo and Moose are acting normally again! They are such cute boys. :)

Since Ginny's vision has been deteriorating (cataracts), I have noticed that even unusual shadows moving can spook her quite easily.

Her cagemate is very tuned into Ginny's reactions, and becomes spooked as well.

Occasionally, they will avoid the part of the cage where they became "spooked" for quite a while. Once I discovered that it was a cuddle cup - they wouldn't go near it, no matter what. When I removed the cuddle cup and replaced it with a clean one, they were fine.

My best guess is that sometimes, the "spooked pig" will leave a scent behind (perhaps of fear?), to alert the others that there is something dangerous to be avoided in "this spot".

twofinepigs

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Yeah, spooking happens. It's distressing and strange.

I have one pig who spooks once or twice a year. Won't go in one end of the cage. Reaches out towards it, extending his body, but shaking and terrified, then scrambles back into the house. And he's not even our scaredy-pig.

It's not the same corner that scares him each time, and we have never found any obvious reason. He gets over it in a couple days, but it's worrisome to watch.

I wonder if hay pokes or something convince them one area or object is a pig-eater.